Another "Do I have an infection?" thread (w/ pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
I am worried about my chocolate stout. It seemed to ferment fine, but once airlock activity stopped, there was a layer on top that looked sort of slimy, and tanish in color. After 10 days it had hit the FG pretty much right on (1.012) and the gravity had been stable for 4 straight days. Since it tasted fine, I was hopeful that it was just some yeast that never settled out.

However, the layer redeveloped in the secondary. I will attach the best pics I can, but having this develop in the secondary can't be good, right? I haven't tasted, but I am worried that, even if it tastes fine, I shouldn't bottle for fear that this will redevelop again in bottles.

Any thought or suggestions? The yeast is S-04, which I have never used before.

Thanks in advance.

IMAGE_011.jpg

IMAGE_012.jpg

IMAGE_013.jpg

I don't think so. RDWHAHB and put a dark T-Shirt over it so you can't see it till it is done. Out of sight, out of mind. That's why I use buckets with lids and ferment in a chest freezer in a garage. I have no idea what's going on till I rack to a keg.

AG, extract, PM? What was your recipe? More specifically, what adjuncts did you use?

Thanks.

I have been trying to stay away from it, but it is tough!

If the layer is still there, but unchanged in a few weeks, you think it is still okay to bottle?

Your recipe has cocoa powder in it. Cocoa powder is mostly cocoa soilds and is low in fat compared to cocoa butter, but it still has some saturated fat in it. That may be what you are seeing. I'm just guessing, though.

Back