Favorite Christmas/ Winter Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of years ago, a few buddies and I tried as many winter ales in one weekend as we could get our hands on...
Red Hook Winterhook was the surprise. We all typically hate Red Hook beers, but this one was quite drinkable.

The recipe for Red Hook Winterhook changes each year, and some years it's absolutely awesome, other years not so much. Early on in the brewery's history, the recipe one year had some Starbucks espresso in it, this was before either Red Hook or Starbucks were the large conglomerates they are today. That recipe was so popular that it became one of their standard recipes (well, "standard" in that 22oz bottles were available alongside their usual bottled sixpacks), Red Hook Double Black Stout. It was the most delightful of their beers, IMNSHO.

As far as a 2009 recipe, I've really enjoyed this year's Anchor Our Special Ale. I picked up a sixer each of the 2008 and the 2009 at a local shop, intending to do a vertical tasting, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The 2009 Jubelale on tap is one of my favorite of the season. In the bottle, not so much - I get a metallic taste; but on tap, deliciousness.

I'm really looking forward to heading up to Seattle for my annual raid on Ballard stores to get the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger. I've lost many a winter's night to that beer...

Every year I have to get a least a sixer of Sam Adams Winter Lager. I just tried a New Belgium 2 Below. A new favorite!!

Back