Blueberry Honey Wheat advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
OK this is my first post on here.

I brewed a Blueberry Honey Wheat 3 weeks ago. It violently fermented for 10 days at 65 then I racked to the secondary where it has been since. The problem is it has a terrible sour/grain alcohol/nasty wine taste. It has a beautiful color and smell though. Sanitation was flawless, primary was in bucket, secondary is in glass. Is there any help for this or is it to be dumped? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks All :confused:

My Recipe

7 lbs Bavarian Wheat LME @ 15 min
8 oz Munich Malt 30 min at 170
1 oz Hallertau Pellet hops @ 60 min
2 lbs orange blososm honey @ flame out
4 lbs frozen blueberries @ flame out and pasturized
WB-06 pint starter

The only thing I notice there I the huge amounts of flavors. If you are trying or a nice finish flavor drop those back a bit. Maybe a pound a piece or so for a 5 gallon.

are you mistaking sour for the tartness that fermented blueberries will give?

That could be it. This is my first fruit beer so I'm clueless as to what flavors fermented fruit will give in beer.

The taste overpowers the malt flavour I was looking for.

Is there anyway to fix this? Maybe time, carbonation?

Thanks for the input all

It should get better in time. I made a berry wheat last year and the tartness from the fruit was overwhelming at first, but it mellowed and became quite good.

One other thing, when you say fermented @65F, was that ambient or internal wort temp?

It should get better in time. I made a berry wheat last year and the tartness from the fruit was overwhelming at first, but it mellowed and became quite good.

One other thing, when you say fermented @65F, was that ambient or internal wort temp?

I cooled the wart to 65 in about 25 minutes in a ice bath, aerated, pitched my yeast. The temp in the house stays at 65 and is usually cooler where I ferment. So ambient temp.

How long did it take for it to mellow?

chances are you fermented into the 70s then. during active fermentation, the internal temp can rise 5-10F. im not familiar with that yeast strain, but such high temps can lead to some fusel alcohols so that may explain the grain alcohol taste you're getting. those will fade as well. i dont think wheat yeasts tend to produce those til real high tho (>75ish), so its probably just from being young. mine took probably about 6 weeks or so to mellow to where I wanted it after I bottled

chances are you fermented into the 70s then. during active fermentation, the internal temp can rise 5-10F. im not familiar with that yeast strain, but such high temps can lead to some fusel alcohols so that may explain the grain alcohol taste you're getting. those will fade as well. i dont think wheat yeasts tend to produce those til real high tho (>75ish), so its probably just from being young. mine took probably about 6 weeks or so to mellow to where I wanted it after I bottled

Ok good, I feel a little better now.

So did you let it mellow in the bottles?

Mine is going on 2 1/2 weeks in the secnodary.

ya i just let mine mellow in the bottles. it'll probably mellow and condition quicker in secondary if you want to leave it for extra time, but you could bottle it soon if you wanted as well. with just the recommended minimum 3 week wait after bottling, most of the issues should fade

ya i just let mine mellow in the bottles. it'll probably mellow and condition quicker in secondary if you want to leave it for extra time, but you could bottle it soon if you wanted as well. with just the recommended minimum 3 week wait after bottling, most of the issues should fade

That's what I'll be doing tomorrow then. I need to free up my carboy ASAP.

Thanks again! :mug:

Well I figured I should post back so you all know how it turned out. I just cracked open my first bottle last night and it was good. Crisp, dry, good thick purple head, nice blueberry flavor, and no more off flavors. If I brew this again I will remove the honey totally and replace with honey malt for some added sweetness. Right now it reminds me of a malt wine cooler.

yea that honey will ferment out damn near completetly. 2lbs is a go bit too. what was the abv? high ferment temps that much honey could explain ur sour tart alcohol tastes.

Oh My God, This freaking blueberry tastes so damn good now it's crazy. I want to freeze it and skate on it and then melt it and drink it!

Yes it came through perfectly. I used WB-06 dry yeast so the beer is a little cloudy, but it's actually purple like blueberries, has a nice thick purple tinted head, aroma and huge taste of blueberry and it's still malty like a beer. The honey gave it a nice crisp finish that is still malty sweet.

Back