Any problem w/ using PBW solution for 1 month plus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I finally discovered the lazy mans way to delabel bottles. An ounce or so of PBW in a 5 gal bucket with bottles soaking overnight. In the morning (as I'm sure most of you are aware)....the labels are off the bottles and the glue (if any) would come off with little to no effort. I've been using this same 5 gal bucket w/ the same PBW solution for probably about a month now...once I have about 12 empty bottles I dump them in..and voila! I give the bottles a a couple of good rinses when taking them out of the bucket...and then I sanitize before use.

Do you think I can keep using this same batch of PBW solution without any problems? ...Maybe i'll start a fresh solution in another month or so?

BTW...i never use a bottle brush because I always pour my beers and them immediatley rinse so that nothing will dry and stick to the inside of the bottle

Nice. Yea- thats all I'm using it for- delabeling. I've got it sitting behind a door with a makeshift cover on top....and I've got a couple more bottles ready to take the plunge.

I soaked a bunch of bombers in a PBW solution for probably 3 months (forgot about them). Now they have a rainbow sheen to them almost like an oil slick. Its not something on the bottle as I've scrubbed it with an abrasive and after it dries the sheen returns. Its like the PBW attacked the glass.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Are the bottles kaput? I've got enough to hold me for awhile without using that set, but bummer its like a dozen bombers.

Back