Used Starsan That Mixed with PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundboundCo

Reaction score
Here’s a questions for y’all. So I reached the end of my brew session and had a paddle and my temp control coil sitting in a pitcher of what I thought was Starsan. I actually forgot I had dissolved two tabs of PBW in 2 liters of water in the pitcher. I ended up topping the pitcher off with 2 more liters of Starsan to make the pitcher full at one gallon. Thinking it was a full pitcher of Starsan. Long story short I used the paddle to whirl pool my wort before pitching the yeast then put the coil in. I also prayed the paddle and coil with 100% Starsan before using after taking them out of the solution in the pitcher.

Long story short, after I was all done I remember I was an idiot and the pitcher had PBW in it originally.

Will I be all good? Did the 2 liter addition of Starsan into the 2 liter of PBW cancel out any possible issues?

Well they certainly cancelled out. PBW has a high pH while star san has a low pH and the two will react and reach an equilibrium at some medium pH depending on the relative concentrations of each.

While your beer is probably fine from a microbial perspective, there's an elevated risk of infection, and you may find that you have issues with head retention from any residual PBW.

Well they certainly cancelled out. PBW has a high pH while star san has a low pH and the two will react and reach an equilibrium at some medium pH depending on the relative concentrations of each.

While your beer is probably fine from a microbial perspective, there's an elevated risk of infection, and you may find that you have issues with head retention from any residual PBW.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I should be in the clear considering it wasn’t a crazy amount of PBW and wasn’t 100% PBW that made contact so I’ll just monitor for off flavors as the fermentation progresses.

I expect the PBW would taste really nasty, but there should be very little of it in your beer. I hope you'll post how it tastes.

Back