First time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCab

Reaction score
My first batch is in the fermenter and was wondering when i will start seeing some action in the airlock.

Depends on many factors, but usually within 24 hours. 72 at the outside.

Factors include the gravity of your wort, oxygen content, how much yeast you pitch, temperature, etc.

So there is no need to panic yet? It’s been in the bucket for 19 hours and I'm not seeing any activity. I am using a White lab yeast that recommends a temp between 50 - 55 degrees F. The thermometer sitting on top of the bucket is reading 53 degrees.

RDWHAHB: You may not see any activity. If you bucket doesn't seal completely, then the CO2 will escape out the small leaks instead of the airlock.

The leaks aren't a problem at all. Many people don't use airlocks at all, and either loosely fit the lid, or stretch plastic wrap over the top . One of my primaries has never been able to get a proper seal. I still put an airlock on it, but I've never seen a bubble come out of it. It's always made my wine for me (that primary is dedicated to wine), and there haven't been any problems yet.

I know many people here seem to disagree with it, but gently pop a corner of the lid up and have a look -- if you have foam on the top, then you have fermentation. Leave it there for 3 or 4 weeks, bottle/keg and enjoy!

RDWHAHB:

I know many people here seem to disagree with it, but gently pop a corner of the lid up and have a look -- if you have foam on the top, then you have fermentation. Leave it there for 3 or 4 weeks, bottle/keg and enjoy!

Well I pulled back the lid and there is nothing. Is there any way of saving it?

If you've only had it in the primary for 19 hours don't worry about it yet. I'm far from an expert but from what I've gathered so far you're a day or two away from a even thinking about worrying. I just got done drinking my first homebrew and it didn't foam for the first couple of days in the primary, still tastes like beer now.

its more like 48 hours now. but i'll wait and see. Can someone tell me if i would see results faster if i used a yeast starter.

Yes, you would see results much faster if you used a yeast starter. I wouldn't worry about it until day 4.

If it's a hi hopped wort don't even worry then, just dump in a couple packets of notty or 05. You never gave your process or recipe, did you oxygenate the wort before pitching? This alone will speed up the process. When you opened it, was it starting to smell like beer or still wort? Did you pitch at too high of a temp and kill the yeast? the more info the more we can help.:)

I am here to say...DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR BEER! It literally took 7 days before I saw any sign of fermentation. What triggered the activity was the change in weather. There was a warming trend that raised the temperature closer to 70 degrees. Once it hit 70, it took off. The specification, according to White Labs, was that it should be at 55-60 degrees for optimum growth. Not sure what happened but I'm no longer complaining. I'm not sure if I'm going to have the patients for this.

My first batch is in the fermenter and was wondering when i will start seeing some action in the airlock.

I'm a first timer, too and my first batch didn't see any action until 2 days in the carboy. the thing to keep in mind is that "how to's" and "directions" are often guidelines at best.

the mantra I sing? you're partaking in a chemistry experiment. and unless you're starting conditions are EXACTLY like someone else's? don't expect exact results.

treat the beer as beer should be treated and let it ride. you'll probably be fine.

The last beer I made with lager yeast took 3 days before I saw any kind of activity at all. This was also with two packets of Saflager and shaking the hell out of the fermenter. I brought it up to room temp until I saw krausen then back to the cold it went! 70º isn't ideal for lager yeast at all, and if it stays at that temp a few days you may get some kind of off flavors. I still wouldn't dump it though.

Lagers take a lot longer to ferment and to finish, so I suggest making ales instead. Much quicker that way.

Back