Basement Bar/Keezer Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
Hi. I need help.

I got a Gibson 10.3 cubic foot chest freezer off of Craigslist a few months ago, and I am hoping to turn it in to a keezer, but I have no idea what I am doing. I've read a lot of the other keezer builds, but I am looking for a parts list.

My plan is to build a collar for the taps and a base with wheels. From what I can figure, with 9" diameter kegs, I can fit between 6 and 8 kegs, though I am planning on starting with four. So, here are the questions that I have for you.

1. I see layouts for four taps including the following equipment:
- 5 lb CO2 tank
- dual regulator (for two pressures)
- hose from tank to keg
- quick disconnects to and from keg
- 4 kegs (ball lock seem to be the favorite. Am I right? Why?)
- hose from keg to tap
- shank, washer, nut
- Perlick faucets
- drip tray
Have I missed anything?

2. Is there a huge reason that people tend to prefer ball lock over pin lock? If height/width isn't an issue, what are the major topics that people discuss?

3. I know Perlick is the gold standard for taps, but there is a new Perlick 525PC model that is cheap, but it's chrome plated brass. I know that chrome plated brass can be bad, but how's the Perlick version?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Looks like you've got everything, but... honestly... how much are you brewing now? 6-8 kegs is a lot. I've got a 7ci chest freezer with the collar and perlicks etc and I only have 2 taps on the front. I could fit 4, and that was the plan when I built it, but I can't let my beer sit that long... I drink it. You will too if your beer is worth a ****.

Pin lock kegs are weak. Not for any reason just cause no one uses it, at least from what I've met. Everyone is on ball lock corny kegs for home brew. Easy to use, same price.

With the taps: GO BIG! They are your pride and joy. You won't truly understand until you make the best batch yet (which happens about 5 times a year if you brew regularly) and you want a pretty tap. I'm proud of my perles. You will be too.

And screw a drip tray... They want to charge you like 40 bucks minimum for that. I put a trash can under my taps. Works fine. I don't need to set my beer down when I fill it. Plus I put a bottle opener between my 2 taps so that the caps fall in the trash too.

Post pics of what you do. I'll get mine on here soon to show you what I got

You'll need at least one gas distribution manifold, preferably with shut-off valves, even better if they have integrated check valves, between the regulator and the gas lines to the kegs.

And the shanks will need tail pieces to hook up the beer lines.

Otherwise I think you're set.

When soda kegs were in vogue, ball locks were numerically dominant (Coke was the only pin lock user). So there were a lot more retired ball locks available for the likes of us when the industry switched to bag-in-box syrup distribution, and most folks stick with whatever they started with.

Otherwise, height/width can be an issue, and ball locks are 1/2" thinner in diameter, which often means you can fit more kegs in a keezer or fridge unit. Otoh, ball locks are taller, which may require a collar on a chest unit, or even not fitting in a short upright unit.

For how many kegs, I have a 10 cubic foot chest freezer and I can fit 6 five gallon ball lock kegs in there - without a collar (I have a six faucet t-style tower). If I added a 10" tall collar I could fit one more keg on the compressor hump in the back right corner, but that'd be it. And if they were pin locks, I'm pretty sure I'd lose a keg outright.

As for faucets, there are millions of chrome plated brass faucets in use every day, but there is nothing that beats the longevity of stainless steel in a corrosive environment. Plus there's that undeniable bling thing ;)

hth

Cheers!

Okay, thanks for the quick responses! I am planning four taps to begin with so I will be able to have a cider, IPA, stout, and wheat on tap in some variety at all times. You just never know what you'll be in the mood for!

I think I'll have to spring for the SS Perlicks and use ball locks. I will definitely post pictures when I get around to making the conversion.

Okay, thanks for the quick responses! I am planning four taps to begin with so I will be able to have a cider, IPA, stout, and wheat on tap in some variety at all times. You just never know what you'll be in the mood for!

I think I'll have to spring for the SS Perlicks and use ball locks. I will definitely post pictures when I get around to making the conversion.

There is nothing wrong with pin locks, and they are becoming more prevelent. Coke didn't retire their stock as soon as Pespi did, so ball locks took off for home brew use. Now their supplies are running low but a lot of people think they are the thing you have to have for homebrew.

Having delt with both for soda, I can tell you pin locks are a lot easier to deal with. No chance of getting the lines on the wrong post, which if you do screw up can be a pain in the rear.

there are slight size differences, so you may want to measure to see which fits your application the best.

Back