Foil sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwibbidy

Reaction score
When I cool my wort with my immersion chiller I cover the open top of the kettle with foil so that the air doesn't get to it while its cooling. Today I had a couple pieces of the foil dip into the chilled wort right before putting it in to the fermenter,.... can the little bit of foil that touched the cooled wort cause it to become contaminated?

A lot of people (me included) don't even cover the wort at all while chilling. I think you will be fine. Aluminum foil doesn't have anything edible on it for microbes, so I don't think that there are enough bacterial cells present on it to cause any concern, as long as you are pitching correctly and are using sanitary equipment.

About a year ago I was using a wort chiller (coil) when the connection for the "out" side starting leaking into my wort. It was too hot to tighten by my bare hand so I took off my t-shirt that I had been wearing all day and used it as a "pot holder." The tshirt quickly became saturated and started dripping in the wort that was now fairly cool. This turned out to be one of my best beers.

Relax.

Back