Faulty Keg? or over-carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippin37

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the 3rd batch of beer that I have kegged now. The first 2 I kegged into the same reconditioned ball lock keg I got from Midwest. This batch I put in the other reconditioned ball lock keg I got from Midwest. I did the same technique as the first two which had no issues at all - set at 30 PSI for 24 hours, purged, then let it sit at 10-12 PSI for 2 weeks.

I went to pour a glass and the first one was all foam, figured I'd try another. Foam. Another, foam. So I filled a pitcher and it was all foam. I tried switching to a different liquid disconnect, didn't help. I tried a different liquid ball lock post, didn't help. I switched the beer line back to my other keg and the beer came out just fine.

So I went back to the foamy keg, pulled it out of my kegerator and I noticed that when I open the tap handle there is a lot of air bubbles in the beer line, hence why there is so much foam. But my question is, is this over carbonated beer or a faulty keg? Any way I can tell?

Thanks!

It looks as though everything you have done
Would answer any question under the sun.
I don't know what fault would be in the keg?
You're force carbonating technique is the same.
Believe it or not I'm racking my brain here,
To determine why so much foam in your beer of good cheer.
The liquid out poppet you changed out.
The quick disconnect was also replaced.
On a different keg same line disconnect and poppet
No impediments to stop it came out the same faucet.
The beer flowed well no foam out the spout
Just a nice glass of beer came beautifully out.
Check your out tube in that dubious keg my friend.
see if it's obstructed, creating turbulent beer within!

If that doesn't work and nobody has an answer
You could try posting your question to the riddle masters.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/anybody-up-riddle-336052/

Ahh yes, I should swap out that dip tube with the one in the other keg and see if it fixes it. No time for that tonight but I will get to it tomorrow.

Thanks, I hope that is the answer.

I just want to say thank you Dan. You pointed me directly to the source. While it wasn't something clogging the dip tube, I was missing the little rubber o-ring that goes on top of the dip tube. I didn't even know that part existed until I took apart the liquid post on my other keg. I'm a lot more familiar now with the keg and its parts. I simply switched the o-ring to my current dip tube and bam, beer is coming out perfectly!

Thanks again Dan!

Back