Stuff in Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revans618

Reaction score
I recently brewed and bottled my first batch of homebrew. When we drank the bottles after the right aging time there was some residue left in the bottom of the bottles. I know that this is a result of not filtering but should I pour everything in the glass or stop just short? Will this change the taste of the beer or not hurt anything? :confused: Anyway, looking forward to doing my 2nd batch.

Thanks for the quick reply. So leave it in the bottle. That's what we did but I wasn't sure. And I'm all about reduced flatulence.:drunk:

So how do commercial brewers keep that crap out of their bottles? I imagine it must be an entirely different process?

What about straining the beer as it goes into the glass from the bottle? I wouldn't think there'd be an issue there...but I know nothing.

Most commercial beers are filtered just before the bottle and force carbonated.

Straining between the bottle and the glass shouldnt be necessary if you pour carefully. It may also aerate your beer.

If you can live with the flatulence :p the sediment is rich in b complex. It can help replenish vitamins that alcohol leaches from your system; thus "curing" a hangover while you drink.

-magno

Using a "secondary fermenter" for 2 weeks will allow lots of the sediment to settle in the secondary instead of the bottles. I know it's tough to wait an extra two weeks....but you buddies will appreciate the improvement, chunks are usually a turn off.

...and when you drink, always have planty of candles lit. When the flame turns a bluish color, your candle is working for you, oxidizing the little gas molecules for you and keeping your air nice and clean smelling! :D

Good advice all around. :) Carefully pouring it into a glass, you can usually leave most the sediment in the bottle without sacrificing much of the beer.

Back