Refrigerator for Fermenting & Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspector13

Reaction score
I an very new to this but have been bit by the brew bug BAD. I am impatient. I just bottled my first batch and am now putting together the all the equipment I will need to do all grain brewing. I don't do anything halfway.

I know the info is here somewhere but I cant find it, so... here goes. I am needing some type of refrigeration for brewing here in Central Texas. I, like many others am very limited on space. I was looking for a small used chest freezer, when a friend offered me a nearly new Kenmore 5.8 cubic foot compact refrigerator with the internal freezer at a very good price. It will fit a 6 gallon carboy with a airlock with room to spare. I plan to get a temperature control unit for what ever I get. I think this would work well for fermentation but how would it work for lagering if I chose to go that route. I don't want to have to change equipment. What do ya think?

Thanks,
Wade

Oooh, my dumb fault.

As long as you have enough clearance in the fridge then you should be all right. Some mini-fridges are now coming compressor-less and cannot do lagering temps but most any basic fridge should be able to get down to 40f-ish.

I have a sanyo mini fridge that can get to just below freezing. Just have him turn the temp all the way down and see how low it will go.

If it has a compressor it should work (If it has the peltier thingies it could be a little underpowered).

Might want to rig up a fan to move some air around in there.

stick a glass of water with a thermometer in it for 24 hours. if the temp is between 40-45 degrees...lagering in it will be no problem.

Back