Any books about malts and hops, flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I have Papazian's 3rd edition of Complete Joy of Homebrewing but I am wondering if there is anything out there that talks more about what the different malts add in terms of flavor. I mean I am mainly interested in wheat beers so there is not too much to consider, but of the recipes that have sounded interesting to me they talk of combing wheat with pilsner malt, or wheat with 2-row malt. And of course when you go to your local HBS, they have a wall filled with bins of different malts. I'd love to learn more about what flavors these different malts contribute.

Along the same lines, I'd hope that this same book might also cover what flavors the different hop varieties contribute. Again, I like my wheat beers because they tend to be low on the hops (I'm not a huge fan), but I'd still like to know what the differences are between what is available.

Any book suggestions? Or web resources with this information? :D

A really good book is Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. You can also go to any of the maltster websites like Breiss and they will tell you all about their different malts. I also recommend going to your lhbs and sample the grains yourself. Bite into a grain and it will give you a really good idea of how it will taste in a beer.

Try the Brewers Elements Series. They haven't released the Malts book yet ... But the have a hops book, and a yeast book. Water book available in April. I've not read them myself, but they came highly recommended by people at my local brew club.

I found that Midwest Supplies catalog has very good descriptions of the different grains and hops. Also Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer has good descriptions in first couple chapters.

You can't go wrong having Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles in your library, those three authors are top names in the industry.

Latest posts

Back