Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see that... the Pack looks good. How many games did they lose with Rodgers out? (honestly don't know)... what seed would they have been if they had won those games? Well... let's be honest, they still would have lost to the Pats but...

Rodgers only missed the one game. Would they still have lost to the Pats? Maybe, maybe not. Not even going there. But while the Packers did lose 6 games, they lost them by a TOTAL of 20 points. Lots of woulda coulda shouldas this year. There were TONS of injuries this year (15, count 'em FIFTEEN players on IR this year) and some issues on special teams early. Do they deserve to be favorites? I really don't know. But the spread is pretty close, no? Not even sure, TBH.

I suspect GB because they be hot offensively with a crap load of options, playing indoors (they are not an outside grind em team) and defense is dangerous for the picks, pressure and sacks. Of their six losses, it was for a total of 20 pts IIRC with two going to over time. Also the hot team (and Rodgers) going in winning 3 on the road I presume gives them a nudge in Vegas' eyes.

I really have not watched a single Steelers game this year so I got no idea what their strengths/weaknesses are. It's always their defense and Ben scrambling but what else? Thought I saw that they have 1 DB who is less than stellar? Packers Achilles is definitely their special teams defense.

What's the spread? I think Green Bay's got a damn good shot, although you worry a little that they may be lacking a little killer instinct. Chicago never should have had a chance last week. Those close games they lost this year - were those games they lost at the end? Seems like they're ALMOST there but not quite... but Pittsburgh's not without flaws, either.

Going down a bit @ 2.5 and agree on killer instinct. It was like they were playing prevent D the 2nd half.

Edit - most games they lost just were tight throughout the game IIRC

Know who has awesome killer instinct?

... I would have agreed with you until about two weeks ago... :(

Pats need their swagger back. Mojo was missing against the Jets. You aren't going to convince me they aren't a better team than the Jets, put them up against NY five times and they're winning four of those (well... at least three). NY beat the crap out of us that day, they deserved to win... but the Pats psyched themselves out of that damn game. Wounds = self-inflicted.

Agree completely on GB's lack of killer instinct. Or rather, Mike McCarthy's lack of killer instinct. He went conservative in the third quarter in both the Philly game and the Chicago game and they had to just hang on at the end. By the end of the game(s) the defense was gassed. They were sucking wind big time.

Wait, Green Bay's the favorite? I'm not sure that I would bet on them.. probably, but 2.5 or 3 points seems just about right. They well might win (hope they do) but if they do it's probably going to be by a field goal. Where's Dataz? I want to bet opposite of whatever he does.

I'm thinking the game is something like 24-21, Green Bay.

I was joking.

I dunno. I hate that word "swagger" and I'm not sure I totally buy "swagger" plays a huge role. I think the Jets just threw things at Brady he didnt recognize and it threw off what the offense was trying to do. I think it (and jesus I'm gonna sound like Belichick but I think he's right when he says it). The Jets had a better game plan and they executed better. I dont think it is that much of a matter of some intangible like "swagger". Almost by definition... If you execute well and you are winning, you have "swagger". If you're losing, you dont. I think winning or losing is the CAUSE of havig swagger, not the other way around.

Confidence. Jets had it, Pats lost it quickly. I know, winning begets confidence, but you know as well as I do that some teams face adversity and lay over. We saw that for how many years with Peyton Manning? Guys get tight, they make mistakes, they start worrying too much about the other guys and lose focus on what they're doing.

The Pats looked like the very young team that they are.

Wait, Green Bay's the favorite? I'm not sure that I would bet on them.. probably, but 2.5 or 3 points seems just about right. They well might win (hope they do) but if they do it's probably going to be by a field goal. Where's Dataz? I want to bet opposite of whatever he does.

I'm thinking the game is something like 24-21, Green Bay.

Yeah - it opened at GB -3.5. I should've bet data's house on Pitt +3.5, because I can see GB winning by a FG; but not more....

24-21 is my prediction as well (though I haven't picked my winner yet).

Yeah but that one was lame. This thread is the most dominant thread of the milenium.

Confidence. Jets had it, Pats lost it quickly. I know, winning begets confidence, but you know as well as I do that some teams face adversity and lay over. We saw that for how many years with Peyton Manning? Guys get tight, they make mistakes, they start worrying too much about the other guys and lose focus on what they're doing.

The Pats looked like the very young team that they are.

Yeah.... I hear ya. I dunno. Maybe I just hate the word.

(have you seen the pig vid yet?)

It'll be interesting to see if either of the D's get into the QB's head. Both are going to be throwing some exotic **** out there I'm sure. I think it's going to be a good game personally and I doubt there will be any prevent D going on in the SB.

How many pounds was that creation? How many guys did you have down? 'Cause it looked like about six guys eating eighty pounds of meat, with only scraps left over!

Cape Brewing said:
no... Assuming I actually ran into you (which I'm guessing will almost be hard NOT to) I was going to come up with a really serious face and say something like, "OH MY GOD... Rob?? ROB from the Ignite presentation!! I SAW you there!! I was in the audience! Wow, I gotta tell ya... I am a HUUUUUGE FAN. You looked AMAZING up on stage."

and just keep playing it up creepier and creepier until you either caught on or walked away totally freaked out..
I am by no means bragging, but that has happened and it wasn't a joke. Or the payoff is still months away

Reading that ^ **** was painfull!!!

I was actually wishing that r8rphan would come back so I could skim HIS posts but not really read them just for a change!!!

Pats suck

Steelers suck

Packers suck slightly less

Nice! Seen the pit a while back and the pigcowturduckenguica etc looked better than imagined.

Time's tight lately so appreciate the link.

People keep saying the Super Bowl will be close. That's what everyone thought when the Pack blew out Atlanta. I didn't see any lack of "killer instinct" in that game.

I wouldn't underestimate Pittsburgh, either. Mendelhall isn't a terrific back (averaged less than 4 a carry), but looked pretty good against the Jets (and Green Bay gave up 4.7/carry in the regular season). We know that Rapistberger is a helluva good QB, and he's played well in the big game before. He's got some good targets in Mike Wallace and Hines Ward. Pittsburgh still gives up a lot of sacks so you might see Clay & Co. go to work, but they also might be able to keep the ball on the ground, control the clock and negate the pass rush.

For Green Bay, it's hard to argue that their running game is anything other than poor to mediocre. One of the worst per-carry averages in the league - and they're going up against a Pittsburgh team than only gives up 3/carry (about as low as I've ever seen for a season). So, it's all going to be on Aaron Rodgers and the receivers... but since Pitt *knows* it's all going to be on them, they can load up against the pass. Pitt was one of only three teams that had more picks than TD passes allowed (along with GB and Chicago, probably not a coincidence), so it's not like it's a given that Green Bay's going to pass all over them.

I wouldn't sleep on Pitt.

It is true that Green Bay doesn't have much of a running game. It has improved in the playoffs, but it still isn't their strong suit.

Thing is though, it's not like they need to rush for 150-200 yards. If they rush just enough, say 60-yards-ish, they should be ok. Just enough so that Pittsburgh can't just pin their ears back and blitz the farm on every down. If they can do that, they should be ok.

It is true that Green Bay doesn't have much of a running game. It has improved in the playoffs, but it still isn't their strong suit.

Thing is though, it's not like they need to rush for 150-200 yards. If they rush just enough, say 60-yards-ish, they should be ok. Just enough so that Pittsburgh can't just pin their ears back and blitz the farm on every down. If they can do that, they should be ok.

Well, 60 yards is basically nil in the NFL. If Pittsburgh doesn't respect the run (and there isn't much reason for them to), as you say they pin their ears back and come after Rodgers.

Don't get me wrong, net-net I think Green Bay's the better team and they SHOULD win, but don't dismiss Pittsburgh or expect this to be a blowout. Three points seems about right.

The Stillers don't sleep on anyone's run game. That's one of the reasons why they're so good against it. Sure the Packers rushing stats for the season aren't great, but they've really been turning it on in the past month. I could see GB pounding the ball with Starks and Kuhn a little and then hitting B Jax for a swing or screen pass. The Steelers get killed on those. Especially when they have to keep an eye on a mobile QB.

Should be a good game and its almost guaranteed to be close. A crazy stat I heard is that the Packers haven't trailed by more than 7 points all season. ****ing crazy!

apologies for drifting off topic again but... wtf... the football season is over so..

so we got yet another freakin' 6-12 inches of snow here in Mass over night. I got up, looked outside, and said "eff it... I'm gonna be a tropper and head in to work". I get dressed, clear off the truck (I gotta guy who plows and he had already cleared the driveway)... and off I go. I get on my train... "hey... I should check my blackberry".

There's an email from my boss to me and three of his other direct reports... "hey guys, screw it... call it a snow day. Stay home. If you have anything urgent, work on it remotely and if not, enjoy the snow".

SONOFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... now... it's 9:44.... my whole floor is a GHOST TOWN and I got nuthin' urgent at all.

so... the real question is... what time do some of the good beer bahs here in the city open!?!?

I think I'm lookin' at a mini-Boston Beer Tour for the day!!

Don't worry though, I get HBT on my phone so I'll be around on the thread allllll day!!!

Back