Filled a Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbrew82

Reaction score
Just got done filling a sankey keg with a 10 gallon batch. I custom ground a screwdriver to remove the locking ring. I am going to start using the sankey keg for large batches. It was just too easy, I will probably be kicking myself when its time to clean the keg.
DSC007322.JPG

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/DSC007381.JPG

Won't be too hard to clean, just a good long soak with oxyclean. You may want to pick up a small mirror to look around inside after you soak though, just to be sure.

Which method do you use to seal it? I'm pretty set on spiral rings, but it'd be interesting to hear why some use snap rings....

Oxyclean = 1000 times better than dawn dish soap.

Here is how I clean my sanke keg:
1. put in some oxyclean
2. fill it with water
3. come back tomorrow
4. rinse it
5. beer it up!!

I used the stock spiral rings. I thought about using a replacement snap ring for ease of installation but I felt it would get it the way of the tap. The screw driver that I ground makes it easy to remove the center.
DSC007381.JPG

Sankes work great, "clutchdude" has a write-up in his sig regarding the installation of the spiral retaining rings. Simple to do once you have the technique. Not worth the effort to replace w/ standard rings once you develop the technique.
ok, found it...this is priceles for reinstalling the rings, took me a lot of head scratching till discovered this method.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

After you fill the keg with water and oxiclean to soak, make sure you depress the ball on the spear as you're sliding the spear back into the full keg to soak...otherwise air will be trapped inside the spear and it won't contact the cleaning solution.

I clean my spears outside of the keg. I depress the ball with a C-Clamp and leave them soaking in Oxyclean.

I take the spear apart and let it all soak in oxyclean . I have 11 gallons in a Sanke fermenting as I type. I am still up in the air if I want to just put the spear back in maybe with 3/4" taken off and just serve from it. little big to carry down to the basement man cave though.

I take the spear apart and let it all soak in oxyclean . I have 11 gallons in a Sanke fermenting as I type. I am still up in the air if I want to just put the spear back in maybe with 3/4" taken off and just serve from it. little big to carry down to the basement man cave though.

Need a friend to carry that down the stairs for sure. What do you mean about take 3/4" off. Are you talking about cutting the spear? Won't that leave alot of beer after you finish? I serve from mine and the spears are all full length.

Need a friend to carry that down the stairs for sure. What do you mean about take 3/4" off. Are you talking about cutting the spear? Won't that leave alot of beer after you finish? I serve from mine and the spears are all full length.

Yes

I was concerned about trub on the bottom I was thinking I would cut the spear on this one and transfer under pressure to another Sanke to serve leaving the trub behind. This way I dont need to use an auto siphon and the beer is always under CO2.

Yes

I was concerned about trub on the bottom I was thinking I would cut the spear on this one and transfer under pressure to another Sanke to serve leaving the trub behind. This way I dont need to use an auto siphon and the beer is always under CO2.

I use a Modified 2" End Cap.... this saves the spears and lets you use any Sanke to ferment in and transfer under CO2 pressure... they are about $100 from wine shops. They use them to top off wine barrels.

ModifiedEndCapnew.jpg

I use a Modified 2" End Cap.... this saves the spears and lets you use any Sanke to ferment in and transfer under CO2 pressure... they are about $100 from wine shops. They use them to top off wine barrels.

ModifiedEndCapnew.jpg

Can you post a link to that unit, please?

St. Pat's has them for ~ $120
St. Patrick's of Texas

Look under barrel tools.

I got mine from St. Pats; I ordered it before I read about the horror stories with them so I was nervous but it came 2 days later (i live in texas) without incident. I was very pleased with the quality and used it the other night in a test-run scenario and I couldn't be happier.

For now I just use them for fermentation but I may also start using Sanke's for serving (once I get enough money to buy a tap that accepts CO2)

Back