Has anyone carbed soda just like their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
The owner of my local homebrew store recommended to me that I don't change anything with my current set-up while I try to make this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OG9DS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

for the first time. He said I could carb just like my beer ( I usually force carb at 32 psi for 24 hours, purge the keg, and the force at 12 psi for 6 days before drinking). Everything I've read on here talks about setting the psi to around 40. Anyone tried root beer at a lower psi? What do they do at breweries? It seems as though most of the root beer I have at local breweries seems to be less carbonated than regular soda, which I enjoy.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 32 psi, when it was warm i shook the crap outta it for 10 mins with the line attached, i then leave it on the keg at 32 psi for 2 days, then reduce to 10psi to pour

Same method i use for beer, except i don't leave the beer at 32 psi for 2 days, only 1.

Make sure your line is right for this as well. I set my water to carb at 30, and let it sit for a week. (I like my soda under carbed compared to commercially sold) I run 25 ft of 3/16th line to help reduce the speed coming out of the faucet (make sure not using a picnic tap, they will leak at that kind of PSI)

AStrafaccia said:
Make sure your line is right for this as well. I set my water to carb at 30, and let it sit for a week. (I like my soda under carbed compared to commercially sold) I run 25 ft of 3/16th line to help reduce the speed coming out of the faucet (make sure not using a picnic tap, they will leak at that kind of PSI)

What faucet works good besides a picnic tap. That will not leak at 30+ psi

Well I use the Perlick 525 SS

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/perlick-faucet-perl-525.html

But any real faucet will work. If you have a fridge you put your keg in now you could buy a kit like this
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/refrigerator-conversion-kit-large.html

I've had a few friends use them and like them a lot, just make sure to drill only on door, don't want to hit freon lines.

I have heard of people being able to use picnic taps with something like 25 feet + of line, but if starts leaking and don't catch it early, could end up with 5 gallons of water on your floor. (or if the tap gets trapped as a friend of yours closes the fridge and ends up pouring about 4 gallons of beer everywhere, the reason I built a keezer, didn't want to have to clean that up again!) :)

I bought the same thing. I've actually had the commercially produced stuff too in bottle and cans.

I just mixed and kegged it this week too. What I tried was chilling for 24hrs at 36 degs. Then attached the gas line on the 'out' post with 35psi going into the post. It will fit. It's a tight squeeze but it will go. Shoved the gas for 10 mins and then tried a glass. Not enough carbonation.

I've read in this forum somewhere about force carbing at 35psi for a week but serving it at beer serving pressure but you had to use 'helixes' in the drink tube to create restriction in the flow of be soda. This was for if you DIDN'T want to use 25+ ft of beer line. The helixes recreate that long beer line restriction on about 5-6ft of beer line.

I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PDJ6N4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Once I get the helixes and installed, I will report back.

I did try another glass today for lunch and it was really foamy. I served it at 35psi though. I then lowered the pressure and got another glass and it was the same. About 85% foam.

We'll see if these helixes do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking on here about the Helixes and I can't seem to find the thread. He went into real in depth stuff on how to get a properly carbonated and served glass of root beer from a Kegerator.

I'm sorry about that.

I'll be sure to do my write up once I get the helixes and place them in the fluid tube.

I have been messing with my pressures most of the day and right now I have it set to about 5psi and the foaming is getting better. Now I can get about a 55-45 ratio of foam to soda. Not ideal of course but waay better than what I had at about 12psi. I have a homebrew on tap so pouring that at about 5psi would work but not all styles will.

I've got a Red ale in the primary and I will be brewing my Pilsner. Both would work on 5psi but I prefer to serve my beer at about 8-10psi.

Only time will tell...

I have been having my root beer through the helix for almost two and it seems to be great. The helix creates "head" for the soda. It's great.

I did trials with different lengths of helixes.

My final conclusion was to cut the helix by 1/3. The picture I added shows 1 swirl of the helix. There are a total of 21 of those. So I cut it after the 7th one. Dropped that in the fluid tube and it is working great.

If you do buy them, it will look like they won't fit but trust me they will. You have to give a little force behind the push but once it starts going down the tube, it will be fine.

Good luck.

image-1611625221.jpg

Back