Hop Tea for Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
My buddy and I made a Barley Wine about a month ago. Actully if you want to be truthful is a Imperial Dark Belgian Tripple. Its a 13% cough syrup:drunk:. We used a Belgian Strong Ale yeast and did 3 addtions of DME and corn sugar during fermentaion. 14 onces of hops were used in the boil. For my buddy its just not hoppy enough. I think its just fine. We want to add some more hop flavor and bitterness. Other than dryhopping hugh amounts of hops could we make a hop tea? Boil up some hops for bitterness and flavor/aroma and add that to the bottling bucket? We have Magnum, Centennial, Cascade and Apollo hops that we can use. Any suggestions? Would any other hops stand out more in a beer this big? Thanks!!!

My buddy and I made a Barley Wine about a month ago. Actully if you want to be truthful is a Imperial Dark Belgian Tripple. Its a 13% cough syrup. We used a Belgian Strong Ale yeast and did 3 addtions of DME and corn sugar during fermentaion. 14 onces of hops were used in the boil. For my buddy its just not hoppy enough. I think its just fine. We want to add some more hop flavor and bitterness. Other than dryhopping hugh amounts of hops could we make a hop tea? Boil up some hops for bitterness and flavor/aroma and add that to the bottling bucket? We have Magnum, Centennial, Cascade and Apollo hops that we can use. Any suggestions? Would any other hops stand out more in a beer this big? Thanks!!!

Good lord, 14oz of hops in the boil wasn't enough?!?!? I think your idea could work, but I'm always scared of trying to "fix" a beer after it's fermented. I'd rather just drink it as is and learn from your mistakes. But maybe brewing a second beer and blending the two would be a more calculated way to do it?

Man I think I can hear that beer ripping apart the universe.

yes your idea could work, have done similar things myself. watchout because hops isomerizes wildly in low (or no) gravity wort (aka just plain water) you can use a fairly small amount of hops to get a fairly high bitterness. just boil it for a bit and add it, the boiling (and hops) sterilize it for ya.

Back