My First Lager - Rocky Raccoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGEsq

Reaction score
I've got my Rocky Raccoon sitting in primary in my SOFC (a cool 50 degrees!). I think fermentation is going to be complete very soon (I will confirm with hydro readings over the next couple of days). Assuming fermentation is complete, I need some advice on next steps.

(1) The original recipe (from Papazian's "Complete Guide #3") says rack it straight to bottles once fermentation is complete. This seems like corner-cutting. Anyone tried it or recommend it? Will it work?

(2) I've read about diacetyl rest. I understand this to mean bringing the beer to warmer temps (mid-60s) for 2 or 3 days allowing the beer to clear. Anyone have thoughts about the dacetyl rest? Is it necessary or even beneficial?

(3) If I do go for the rest, what do I do next? Rack it into a secondary and chill it for a period of time? How long? How cold? Or do I go straight to bottles from the rest?

Just looking for various thoughts and experiences regarding the lagering process. Seems to be a lot of divergence of opinion out there. Thanks, y'all!

Totally up to you. Many different opinions on the diacetyl rest for the lagers. My thoughts are, bring the temp up ~ 5 degrees at day 10 (or so). Leave it there for a week, rack to long-term storage/2ndary/bright tank/keg (if force carbing) and lager at ~35F for 2 months. If bottling, add priming sugar solution and a smidge of yeast (1/4 vial) to your bottling bucket and bottle as normal.

Isn't 35F too cold for bottling? Or is that why you suggest the added yeast? Regardless, I don't think I can get it that cold, but I'm curious.

yes, 35 is the lagering temp. You'd have to bring the beer back to ferm temps to bottle and add yeast. It's even fine to add ale yeast to do the carb work, many prefer to stick with the lager yeast though.

Is there any disadvantage to resting the beer, racking into a fresh carboy, and just continuing to "lager" at 50 for a couple weeks?

Back