Have you ever had a pot warp on you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody189

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm going to be doing my first brew any day now, but I realized something. I received my 30Qt aluminum turkey fryer today and I was looking at the instructions and it said the pot may warp.

I was surprise there were so few threads on the subject.

Wouldn't an ice bath warp the pot? Or is it okay because the pot doesn't get TOO hot? I'm kinda paranoid now because I don't wanna waste a $50 pot. It's very lightweight, but I think it's a decent made pot and should be strong.

I'm assuming it's okay because they are talking about 300+ degrees to fry a turkey and we are talking about half that, but I just wanna be safe.

Have you had any experience with warping? IF so what were the conditions?

Same for me. I've used a 38 qt. aluminum pot for at least 7 brews, ice bath and all and never seen any warping. I got a tamale steamer, so it's got that extra ring around it that may help prevent warping.

I also use the steamer insert to raise the pot up from the bottom of the ice bath. Dual purpose!

Thanks.. I guess i should be alright. Anyone else feel free to chime in

Same for me. I've used a 38 qt. aluminum pot for at least 7 brews, ice bath and all and never seen any warping. I got a tamale steamer, so it's got that extra ring around it that may help prevent warping.

I also use the steamer insert to raise the pot up from the bottom of the ice bath. Dual purpose!

that's what im using too

I doubt you'll warp it. It's possible though, but going from hot to cold is not going to be the culprit. Applying heat while the pot is empty is another question. When you're boiling water, most of the heat goes into the water. You can heat water in a paper cup with direct flame without the cup burning.

yeah, if it's full of wort it won't warp. heat will transfer thru.

i did warp my kettle by putting it on heat for 10 seconds while i grabbed some water. those burners are powerful.

IMHO - There is too much mass from the wort in the pot to let it warp. I set a SS pot on a burner empty once - that got it to warp. I just popped the bottom back out and kept using it. I don't think you could tell which one of my three it was by visual inspection though.

Good god man - it's only beer. :)

My cheesy turkey-fryer pot has collected some dents, but hasn't warped in 10 years. Still use it as a MLT. Water boils at much lower temperatures than frying oil.

I was hoping to find pictures of a warped pot!! I've never seen it happen...

BTW, I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying...

I made the mistake of letting my stainless steel pot sit on the flame of my sp-10 for about 5 minutes before pouring in the strike water. As soon as I did... *HISSSSSSS BONKKKKK SPEEEEEEEEEE"

That's my impression of the noises it made. Left a nice Aurora-Borealis-like painting on the bottom of the kettle along with a couple of big ol dents. Luckily I just popped the dent up from the bottom and it still works fine. It's just uglier.

Yes, but not my boil pot (I've got an electric system so doesn't not a problem).

I've got warped pots and frypans in my normal cookware. The pots get a rounded bottom so they rock on a flat surface. Same for the frypans. I'll never buy anything but All-Clad from now on. Avoid Pampered Chef cookware!

Latest posts

Back