Aluminum brew pot question - oxide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedL

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I picked up one of these turkey fryers today from Menards to use for smaller brew in bag batches.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...78035987.htm?tid=-1871453103005708384&ipos=17
I gave the aluminum pot a quick clean out with PBW and a rinse and took it outside to see how quickly it can boil 3 gallons. 14 minutes, I was pretty pleased! Despite what the website says it’s 58,000 btus by the way.

My question is about aluminum oxide. I heard to boil some water in a new aluminum pot to build up a layer of oxide, well mine turned the water brown. It also had a metallic odor to it. Is that normal? Surely this will affect the beer.

PBW is alkaline. It probably reacted with the aluminum, causing the brown water and metallic smell. Rinse out (this time, no PBW), refill with water, boil again.

Thanks! Should I get some purified water from the grocery store like I brew with? My tap water is treated and very hard.

You could try with purified water. Perhaps the hard water contributed to the reaction. Boil for 20 minutes or so. The inside should have a light grey coating, and the water shouldn't become discolored.

Just my paranoid self...but should @RedL boil some apple juice in it and cool then taste to confirm no metallic flavor?
I had a horrible metallic taste in my first ever batch of beer I eventually (I think) traced to my aluminum pot. The second batch did not taste metallic (even tho I used the same pot...must've passivated).

A picture for reference of the pot after I rinsed it. The water was so discolored you couldn’t see through it.

5EDF5A58-FD4A-410D-A993-F3B6985984C9.jpeg

I'm going to buy some purified water today at the store and try again. I suspect that's the problem as I have very hard water. Here is a report I found from my water provider. I'm new to brewing, but the alkalinity and PH don't look right to me.

MO5024602-2.jpg

Last edited:
just do a few boils to season the pot. No soap or hard scrubbers (SOS, copper, SS, etc).

I brewed for a few years and am looking on getting back into it. I used a aluminum pot I got off Amazon and cured it by boiling it full of water for an hour. Never had any issues with taste or color. Also I used jugs of mineral water (store brand) to brew my beer without issues. I was told you needed the mineral in the water. Hopefully that gives you more confidence.

It was the water! I did another boil with 5 gallons of purified water from the store. The water sort of started to turn dark again right at boil, then went clear. I let it boil 30 minutes, then shut it off and left it to cool for a couple hours. When I came back the water was clear and the stain in the picture above was completely gone. It just has a nice light gray oxide to it now. Thanks for the help everyone, I've a got a lot to learn.

On another note, I'm going to do a write up of this burner in another thread. It really worked well and was a great bargain.

Back