Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75146_399660916768445_918835351_n.jpg

My working dog Spike and I in Northeastern Afghan..

Is Spike a Malinios or a black Shepard? My MIL has a Malinios, fantastic dogs.. I've been looking for a pup to adopt for a year now.

Updating now that Zelda is now at home after the adoption. She knows she is home now and got her name figured out. Smart dog. Better trained than Daisey and I've had Daiz 5 years now. Got lucky on her rescue.

205088_854859423369_1155397869_n.jpg

599859_921983037011_1545868229_n.jpg

Daisey turned 5 over the holidays. So she also sleeps a lot. Damn, I think that's all my dogs do is sleep.

14704_851730064629_898685995_n.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

American bull dog? Props on adopting, there's so many good dogs in shelters. Both of my dogs are rescues.

American bull dog? Props on adopting, there's so many good dogs in shelters. Both of my dogs are rescues.

Yep. She was picked up with 2 pupS wandering around Warrensburg, pups were gone when we got to the shelter. She showed some aggression at first towards a few other dogs but after some discipline and trying to socialize her she is doing much better. She still wants to eat my neighbor's miniature schnauzers, but I don't blame her. Those things are viscous.

Wife always wanted a Bully. I wasn't going to have an English though as too many health issues that I don't want to deal with. Saw the American and I said ok. She's been great.

The little blackie is a Black and Tan Coon hound. She sleeps all day so she can howl outside my neighbors window all night.

This is our baby Frankie. We found her wandering the woods when she was barely old enough to walk. She's around 60 lbs now, and is the sweetest, most protective dog I've ever had.
e98edb29.jpg

Not the best picture, but this is what I came home to a few days ago. The heat was turned back in the house and the poor girl was cold, so she crawled under her blanket.

2013-01-02 21.36.52.jpg

great picture, personally i love the lighting. oh, and she's FRIKKEN ADORABLE.

It was just a shot from my phone, but thank you. She is adorable, but a big baby. For an animal with such a thick coat of fur, she acts like she is cold all the time. We have a heated mattress pad, and at night she will manage to sneak up on the bed, crawl under the covers, and then sprawl out when she gets warm.

Spike is a Malinios, They have a program online that you can adopt retired or washed out (didnt make the cut) military working dogs.

http://www.militaryworkingdogadoptions.com/

Thanks for the link. I'm glad a program like that exists and Travis AFB isn't too far from me. I'll look into them, but I'm not sure a retired mil dog would be the best fit with a 2yr old in the house.

I won't get a dog from a breeder though, so when I end up with one it'll be an adoption.

Our two rescue dogs, Jackson and Jersey (L-R). Both are about one and a half and half chihuahuas. Jackson's other half is clearly dachshund, and Jersey's other half is >cough<.

288099_381297988586633_1809449482_o.jpg

Both of them doing what they do best:

552652_3758209467151_1480970909_n.jpg

Jackson in post-belly rub euphoria and Jersey chasing sunlight.

Since we're on an Aussie kick, here's my Newfie hanging out with my dads tri color male aussie when they were puppies.

image-2944025390.jpg

I love newfie's!!! They tend to have a temper. Someone breaks into your home, the newfie will make short work of them.

Maybe temper is the wrong word, how about hard headed. They are one of the oldest breeds of dogs, and were used when they hunded with punt guns in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting in cold water, they have layer after layer of different kinds of hair. Mine did drool a lot, wish I could have found some kind of use for all that drool, like an industrial lubricant or somthing.

Tehe. Friend of my father had one years ago. I think it was like 5 at the time. You'd come into the house and he wouldnt even open an eye. I'd go over and pet him and thats when he'd wake up, slobber my hand, and go back to sleep.

This is Mr. Wesley. He's a rescue we've had for a year and a half or so. He spent the first 6 years of his life chained to a tree on a eastern washington reservation.

When we first got him, he was shaved pretty much. Looked like a possum.

In the months prior to finding Wesley, we had lost our kids growing up dogs (2 chows and collie sheppard mix) who all passed within a few months of each other. They were 14 and 15. Mr. Wes is a little older and we won't have him as long, but he's a great dog and we will enjoy him as long as possible.

091.jpg

112.jpg

The only downside of old dogs is they die sooner than puppies :(. If puppies were born old dogs that would be great.

He spent the first 6 years of his life chained to a tree

whoever did that needs to be chained to a tree for 6 years.

awesome that you guys rescued him.

and if Mr Wes hasn't thanked you for that, me & my Howdy thank you
(you can see the Howdy over there to the left, being my avatar)

and THANK YOU to all the rest of you with rescued dogs

Here's ours:
Nitro (Pugapoo) 14yrs old, I can't get his picture to upload properly and display.
Nellie (Brittany) 10yrs old
Nikki (ACD Red Heeler) 1yr old

Nellie.png

Nikki.png

My golden retriever brewin buddy, Daisy, she's about a year and a half. She's lookin at me with those "can I please have more mash grains!"

Photo0830.jpg

This is Reggie. We've been together about 8 yrs now. Don't know what I'll do without him. He's dumb as a post, but that's part of his charm. I think his personal record for staring waiting for the ball to fall on a fake throw is close to ten minutes.

image-1152140713.jpg

He was small enough to hold in one hand when we found each other. I was working as a raft guide, living in a tent. An a-hole POS I worked with got him from a box in front of the Kmart. This guy already had a big mean Akita he'd kick the **** out of. The guy would leave Reg in a cat carrier for 10 or 12 hours. When he'd poop in the carrier and end up covered, this guy would scream at him and spray him with a garden hose. Just pathetic. So I took the dog away from him, thinking the World's cutest puppy wouldn't be hard to find a home for. Took us a few years to find a home together, but we're pretty happy these days.

mikescooling said:
Maybe temper is the wrong word, how about hard headed. They are one of the oldest breeds of dogs, and were used when they hunded with punt guns in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting in cold water, they have layer after layer of different kinds of hair. Mine did drool a lot, wish I could have found some kind of use for all that drool, like an industrial lubricant or somthing.

She's hard headed for sure. Doesn't matter how or how many times she's reprimanded, if there is an unattended beer on the coffee table she's gonna drink ALL of it. She'll even drink all my single malt scotch. And the drool is incredibly tough to clean once it's dried and she gets it everywhere, even on the ceiling. I really need to get her a bib, we have the community drool towel now. She will get slightly aggressive with other dominant female dogs but I wouldn't trust her to defend the house from an intruder, my St Bernard/Pyrenees male has assumed that responsibility with aplomb. The Aussie bosses everybody around and loves to show off.

Great pics of our best friends. Can't believe I've not found this thread before this evening. This is our tri-color Mazie but I couldn't find a pic of her predecessor.

image.jpg

Back