rest period and doppelbock kit from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powchekny

Reaction score
I have a question about the "rest" period specified for my doppelbock kit from AHS. The instructions specify a rest at 60-70 def. F after 10 days of primary at 50-55 deg F.

However, it's been almost 10 days, and primary fermentation is still going pretty strong. Airlock bubble every 3-4 seconds and the beer is still visibly "churning" in the glass carboy.

Does it make any sense to move to a "diacetyl rest" even before primary fermentation finishes?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me,

Tom

thanks, Beerrific.

Good advice as always, the chart helped clear things up for me. Does it also make sense to transfer to a lagering step if the fermentation *still* hasn't finished after its diacetyl rest?

Tom

Powchekny said:
thanks, Beerrific.

Good advice as always, the chart helped clear things up for me. Does it also make sense to transfer to a lagering step if the fermentation *still* hasn't finished after its diacetyl rest?

Tom

Finish fermentation before transferring. I would also give it a week after it finishes to 'clean up' before racking and crashing the temp.

Back