Better wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loren601

Reaction score
I'm just starting out making wine and I see a lot of people using different things to make there wine. So what's the pros ad cons of using each methods. Such as using juice, using fresh fruit, or using the store bought kits. Which gives the best results.

I'm just starting out making wine and I see a lot of people using different things to make there wine. So what's the pros ad cons of using each methods. Such as using juice, using fresh fruit, or using the store bought kits. Which gives the best results.

Juice and kits are more consistent than fresh fruit...and often fresh fruit isn't obtainable for a reasonable price. Kind of an open-ended question.

I'm also having trouble understanding which fruits need to be boiled and which ones u Put in your fermenter fresh.

I'm also having trouble understanding which fruits need to be boiled and which ones u Put in your fermenter fresh.

Most fruit wines you avoid heating because it can strip fruit of desirable flavors. To kill off any bugglings you use campden.

Some wines use boiling to extract flavors, that we can't otherwise soak, mash or juice out of our products...like dandelion or parsnip.

I'm new to this what is (bugglings) so do u recommend juicing strawberries or just cutting them and puttin them in the fermenter

I'm new to this what is (bugglings) so do u recommend juicing strawberries or just cutting them and puttin them in the fermenter

That's not a technical term...just my jargon...any living organism, other fungi, bacteria or anything that could ruin your batch.

Do you have access to a juicer? I don't...so I end up smashing them to smithereens and fermenting the whole lot. If you have a juicer I'd juice them and put the pulp in a cheese cloth bag and steep it.

loren601 said:

I've made blueberry wine and strawberry wine, both made by chopping the fruit and with a nylon bag, into the fermenter.

Inner10 said:
That's not a technical term...just my jargon...any living organism, other fungi, bacteria or anything that could ruin your batch.

Do you have access to a juicer? I don't...so I end up smashing them to smithereens and fermenting the whole lot. If you have a juicer I'd juice them and put the pulp in a cheese cloth bag and steep it.

Ok I have the campden ordered. I like your suggestion on mashing and using the cloth bag. Do u use any clarifying agents at the end or is that optional

novalou said:
I've made blueberry wine and strawberry wine, both made by chopping the fruit and with a nylon bag, into the fermenter.

I have a 6.5 gal carboy. How many pounds of strawberries do u use

Ok I have the campden ordered. I like your suggestion on mashing and using the cloth bag. Do u use any clarifying agents at the end or is that optional

I always add pectic enzyme and bentonite to my must, if after I age my wine it still looks a little hazy and I don't want to wait I use sparkolloid, but give wine enough time and it will clear up on it's own.

Inner10 said:
I always add pectic enzyme and bentonite to my must, if after I age my wine it still looks a little hazy and I don't want to wait I use sparkolloid, but give wine enough time and it will clear up on it's own.

I ordered bentonite and Potassium Sorbate but didn't get any pectic enzyme. Should I see about getting some or is what I have good enough.

I ordered bentonite and Potassium Sorbate but didn't get any pectic enzyme. Should I see about getting some or is what I have good enough.

I'd consider it a must for must if you are making a wine entirely from fresh fruit. It helps break down the pectin in the fruit so you can extract more colour and flavour into your wine. Also is helps reduce the pectic haze in your wines that prevent them from clearing.

If you are ordering goodies for your wine making get the following:

- Hydrometer
- Ph Test Strips
- Acid Blend
- Calcium Carbonate
- Pectic Enzyme
- Yeast Energizer (optional for fruit wines)
- Yeast Nutrient (optional for fruit wines)
- Campden
- Sorbate (if you want to back-sweeten)
- Bentonite (cheap and helps the big stuff ride faster to the bottom once fermentation is complete)
- Sparkolloid (for those stubborn wines you want to clear)

If you are just getting your feet wet you could skip the PH and adjusters...but I think it's an important step in making good wine.

Inner10 said:
If you are ordering goodies for your wine making get the following:

- Hydrometer
- Ph Test Strips
- Acid Blend
- Calcium Carbonate
- Pectic Enzyme
- Yeast Energizer (optional for fruit wines)
- Yeast Nutrient (optional for fruit wines)
- Campden
- Sorbate (if you want to back-sweeten)
- Bentonite (cheap and helps the big stuff ride faster to the bottom once fermentation is complete)
- Sparkolloid (for those stubborn wines you want to clear)

If you are just getting your feet wet you could skip the PH and adjusters...but I think it's an important step in making good wine.

Is this the same product as acid blend

Acidex Super K contains potassium bicarbonate and potassium bitartrate in an easy-to-use tartaric acid reduction powder. You use this product after fermentation is complete.

Is this the same product as acid blend

Acidex Super K contains potassium bicarbonate and potassium bitartrate in an easy-to-use tartaric acid reduction powder. You use this product after fermentation is complete.

That reduces acid (increase ph), just like calcium carbonate. Acid blend, (tartic acid, malic acid, citric acid) increase acidity (decrease ph).

Back