Hi from kentucky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I are just now working on our third batch of wine. At this juncture we are wanting to learn how to make dry wine. It has been difficult finding information that systematically describes what OG to aim for, and how much sugar to add to the musk to get dry wine. Any help with this would be appreciated, whether using store bought juices, fruits or frozen fruits. Thanks. Glad to be a part of this forum!!!

My wife and I are just now working on our third batch of wine. At this juncture we are wanting to learn how to make dry wine. It has been difficult finding information that systematically describes what OG to aim for, and how much sugar to add to the musk to get dry wine. Any help with this would be appreciated, whether using store bought juices, fruits or frozen fruits. Thanks. Glad to be a part of this forum!!!
Hey welcome to the forum. My limited experience with wine has been kits and mead. For me it’s been sort of easy to make dry wine, just let the yeast finish chewing through that sugar, but I couldn’t tell you what the original Brix should be, and of course different yeast strains have different alcohol tolerances. With that said champagne yeast is a good performer, but not always the best at leaving fruit flavors. Just my 2 cents.

Hey welcome to the forum. My limited experience with wine has been kits and mead. For me it’s been sort of easy to make dry wine, just let the yeast finish chewing through that sugar, but I couldn’t tell you what the original Brix should be, and of course different yeast strains have different alcohol tolerances. With that said champagne yeast is a good performer, but not always the best at leaving fruit flavors. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much! And these wine recipes will make dry wines?
How dry the wine ends up is more due to what yeast you use and when you add fermentation inhibitors, such as K-Meta and sorbate, and dryness isn't just residual sugar. Using fruits with heavy fructose will taste sweeter, so be aware of that.

How dry the wine ends up is more due to what yeast you use and when you add fermentation inhibitors, such as K-Meta and sorbate, and dryness isn't just residual sugar. Using fruits with heavy fructose will taste sweeter, so be aware of that.
Oh, this is helpful! Thank you!! I'll post on here how this wine turns out using 71b, and how one of the wines turns out that you send me from Kraus. I'm going to try one of those next. Thank you so much. We have only been a part of this form a few days and already got some very practical advice!

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor!
If you haven't already found it, check into the wine forum on this site. Cheers!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/winemaking-forum.25/
Hi Wally from Missouri!! Oh goodness, I'm so new I didn't see that forum. Thank you for turning me onto it. I've already learned way more in this forum than I have by watching countless YouTube videos! Part of the value is that I can get almost immediate feedback on a specific question. Thanks!! we look forward to learning from people like you!

Back