beer gone sour, any point cleaning the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I did a Kasteel bruine clone with wyeast 3722 which is not found in ireland. I had to buy it oversea at great shipping cost.

I took a sample of the beer to check on the gravity and to my dismay it tasted sour. It seems that the heater I had used wasn't properly calibrated and overheated.

I was planning to clean the yeast to re-use later on another brew. Should I forget about it or can i still do it without hurting the next brew?

Thanks

If the problem is really the heater then the yeast should be fine. However, just from your original post, it is not clear that the heater is the culprit. Excessive heat can cause off flavors, but to my knowledge not a sour taste. If the beer tastes sour, it seems more likely that there is an infection, in which case the yeast is unusable.

Wash the yeast, make a starter from it then taste the starter. It very well could be fine.

Thanks for the answer. guess I'll wash and test it before using it again.

Back