First IPA Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpipes

Reaction score
Hello All! The wife and I just got through bottling our first attempt at an IPA, second batch overall. We both have a couple of quick questions, however...

We utilized a hop bag when we put the beer in the secondary (which was a pain in the behind to get out, by the way), but when we took it out, it didn't look like the hops had "bloomed" for lack of a better word. In other words, it seemed like some of the middle of the hops was still dry....sounds crazy, I know. Is this normal?

This was the recipe that we used:

http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/5. We switched it up to use 1/2 lb british dark, 1/2 lb british medium, and 1.5 lbs two row pale malt.

Maybe I have the new brew jitters. I guess I'll have a few beers and hope for the best....I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Did you rack the wort onto the bagged hops or put the hops in after transferring to your secondary? I have dry-hopped both using a bag and without. Either way I put the hops into the carboy and then rack on top of them trying to wet them as much as possible without introducing oxygen. It does seem when using a bag that I have had more cones floating dry above the surface of the wort and they are more packed together in general maybe not getting as saturated into the wort. Without a bag they seem to settle into the wort better and all of them get wet.

I transferred the wort to the secondary, and the added the hop bag. There's my trouble. hope it still works out!

I still think you can get better hop saturation by not using a bag. I have added straight unbagged hops to already transferred beer and had no problem with hops sinking into the wort. With bagged hops I can see how adding hops after transferring would be a problem. I still do use bags when I end up with slightly less wort volume.

old forum, but great question. when I "dry" hop, I like to sterilize the hops in hard alcohol, then add the whole shebang to the secondary and rack on top of it.

if you have a lot of booze around, you can have some fun pairing flavors. (If not, its not a huge deal, as we're only talking 1/2 - 1 C of alcohol into a 5+ gallon batch of beer.) Bourbons go great with darker beers. Scotch is too flavorful for really light beers. Vodka and gin are great for wheats. Etc.

Cheers!

old forum, but great question. when I "dry" hop, I like to sterilize the hops in hard alcohol, then add the whole shebang to the secondary and rack on top of it.

if you have a lot of booze around, you can have some fun pairing flavors. (If not, its not a huge deal, as we're only talking 1/2 - 1 C of alcohol into a 5+ gallon batch of beer.) Bourbons go great with darker beers. Scotch is too flavorful for really light beers. Vodka and gin are great for wheats. Etc.

Cheers!

Why do you want to sterilize the hops when one of their primary functions is as a preservative?

Back