Single Tier flow chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellcoates

Reaction score
I am ordering all my SS fittings and valves today. Wanted to share my flow chart and see if its going to work ok before I commit. Thanks for any input.

Flow Chart.jpg

also going to add a QD fitting to line 2,6 to reconnect to the water line input on the HLT to recirculate the water through pump 1 while the mash is going through on pump 2.

If I read your flow chart correctly, you have the inflow for you pumps coming in from the top and the outflow going out the bottom of the pump. You will need to reverse these as the pumps are not self priming (assuming that you are using March, Chugger, etc). Having the inflow from the bottom and the outflow to the top will help prime the pump. This is not a problem if you are using hoses with quick disconnects, but will be a problem if you are going to hard-plumb everything. I hope that this helps. Mark:mug:

That helps a tremendous amount. Thanks a lot. No matter how much I read and research, I still end up feeling slightly stupid setting this thing up.

Also not 100% Im reading this right but you really only need ball valves on the OUTPUT side of your pumps. There is no need to have them on the input side of the pumps as you should never restrict the flow to the pumps. If Im reading this wrong I apologize in advance.

Because there is a T connection at each input output I will block it off to force the direction. Let me know if this is till correct? Thanks!

If you are going to have QD's on the hose and at the pumps why spend the extra money for the T and ball valves? In other words for the pump on the bottom left, you have a T on the out and then 2 ball valves, one going to the BK with line 8 and the other going to HLT (4,10). Why not just take off the T and a ball valve, leaving only 1 ball valve with a QD fitting, then connect the hose to it and to whichever vessel you need to pump to (BK or HLT).

It seems like you have it drawn up to have every possible connection plumbed up and you control it all manually during the brewing day. That can possibly end up being very confusing, making sure you have all the right valves open and what not. This works great for fully automated systems (using electric ball valves) but I wouldnt be able to keep track of it all myself while also worrying about everything else that goes on during brew day.

Back