Summer Citra Wheat (lemon!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed this exactly 3 weeks ago and drinking it tonight! And it’s ready!!
This has a KILLER lemon finish from the Sorachi Ace Hops and the cut lemon peel and orange @ flame out
This is for a 12 gallon batch All Grain
Mash Thin!

11# 2 row
11# wheat
1# C15L
1.5# rice hulls

Mash @ 152* for 60

I mashed in w/ 9.5 gallons (like I said thin) @ 164* to rest @ 152* for 60 Min

Citra .5 oz for 60
Sorachi Ace .5 oz for 15
Sorachi Ace 1.5 oz for 5

Add 1 oz cut dried lemon peel and 1 oz sweet orange peel @ flame out!

I used WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast fermented @ 66 and I am LOVING IT!!!

I love this beer. Best I've brewed in a looong time..OK OK OK only I've brewed in a loooooooong time!:D
Cheers
Jay

Definitely brewing this soon, I've got 4 oz of Sorachi Ace I need to get rid of, I'll probably sub out the Citra bittering addition with Sorachi.

I just polished off a keg of Citra Wheat (fairly hoppy at 40IBU) - my wife said it was the best beer I've ever made. (Previously that title went to Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter - apparently she has eclectic tastes).

Anyway, I was thinking of subbing in a bit of Sorachi Ace the next time I brew it to get a bit of lemony finish - and also thinking of using either American Wheat or Kolsch yeast instead of 1056. Good to know yours turned out well!

Definitely brewing this soon, I've got 4 oz of Sorachi Ace I need to get rid of, I'll probably sub out the Citra bittering addition with Sorachi.

What were your FG and OG readings on this one?

I really dont see any reason why not to bitter w/ Ace as well. MMMmmm I'm loving this beer!

Came in at 1.052 OG and FG 1.012 (Fermenter 1) to 1.014 (Fermenter 2)

Cheers
Jay

Sounds like a great recipe and I have a bunch of Sorachi that I need to put to use (also have Citra). My go to wheat is a NG Cracked Wheat clone but this sounds tasty so I will give it a shot when I brew my next wheat beer.

I just did a grav test and tasting of my citra wheat oh my gosh. Getting excited about this one.

I just ordered the ingredients for a similar beer. Going Maris Otter / Wheat with Amarillo / Citra on the hopping.

Ugh! Thanks !! This stuff looks good, want to give 'er a whirl (my list grows much faster than my capabilities at this time) -I LOVE some of the simplest of recipes that deliver far more than the sum of their parts.

hmm. My LHBS doesn't carry either of those hops (or at least didn't last visit) and I didn't find either on a hops substitute chart. Guess I'll have to order 'em up so I can give this a whirl. Sure sounds tasty!

1 pound crystal 15L

The 'L' is lovibond, the way the color/roastyness of a malt is rated.
Very correct!

hmm. My LHBS doesn't carry either of those hops (or at least didn't last visit) and I didn't find either on a hops substitute chart. Guess I'll have to order 'em up so I can give this a whirl. Sure sounds tasty!
I've got em. I think they are on the webite if not let me know we can get them added.
www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com

Just brewed another 12 gallons of this today. We had a B-Day and Memorial Day Party yesterday.. killed a keg in just a few hours. The ladies LOVED it!! My mother went all crazy for it! I kind of brewed it for her because she LOVES lemon in her beer.. Funny lady! But everyone went crazy for it!! I had a few people say it was the best beer they have ever had! Yep Its a keeper..
The German ale/ Kolsch is the only way to go on this beer IMO

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the post dude, your recipe definitely influenced mine. For a five gallon batch, I used:
5# 2 row
5# wheat
.5# carapils
.5# carahell (crystal 10)
.5oz Simcoe (60 mins)
1oz Citra (5mins)
Wyeast 1272 (American ale ii)

Mashed at 152-153

Looks and smells great, fermenting away right now.

So glad I found this! I have some friends that love Upland's Wheat, but I can't find a clone recipe. I'm sure there is lemon in it, but having never brewed with lemon I wanted to be careful how I used it. Thanks a lot for sharing!

So glad I found this! I have some friends that love Upland's Wheat, but I can't find a clone recipe. I'm sure there is lemon in it, but having never brewed with lemon I wanted to be careful how I used it. Thanks a lot for sharing!

I think the Sorachi Ace and cut dried lemon peel are a killer combo. Go crazy with it!
The only thing I did different is I mashed @ 149* on this last batch. We'll will see how that changes the profile of the Sorachi.

My SWMBO came home yesterday while I was brewing and started asking me if I was brewing Citra Wheat again? Who would have thouhgt?

Brewed on Sunday. My gravity ran a little low, 1044, but not terribly. Kolsch yeast is bubbling hard in the basement @65!

Kegged! Tasting soon. Gf and her girl are big blue moon fans, I told them this would be like a lemony version and I think they may just bathe each other in it lol.

Noob question--in general, does "wheat" in most recipes on HBT refer to "white wheat malt" in beersmith?

Building my recipe list before diving in.

Thanks, and looks like a great beer!

I'm brewing this tomorrow so hopefully I can get a quick response. The recipe calls for 1oz of "cut dried lemon peel" but I am unable to get it before brewtime. Any idea how I can substitute the cut dried lemon if I have access to fresh lemons? Should I just use the yellow yest from the outside of the lemon? Thanks!

I did an all wheat with 4oz of Sorachi Ace. It was ready after only 10 days primary and,yes you are not reading this wrong, 4 days in the bottle.
It was knock your socks off great!

I'm brewing this tomorrow so hopefully I can get a quick response. The recipe calls for 1oz of "cut dried lemon peel" but I am unable to get it before brewtime. Any idea how I can substitute the cut dried lemon if I have access to fresh lemons? Should I just use the yellow yest from the outside of the lemon? Thanks!

Yep that should work for sure.

Brewed this exactly 3 weeks ago and drinking it tonight! And it’s ready!!
This has a KILLER lemon finish from the Sorachi Ace Hops and the cut lemon peel and orange @ flame out
This is for a 12 gallon batch All Grain
Mash Thin!

11# 2 row
11# wheat
1# C15L
1.5# rice hulls

Mash @ 152* for 60

I mashed in w/ 9.5 gallons (like I said thin) @ 164* to rest @ 152* for 60 Min

Citra .5 oz for 60
Sorachi Ace .5 oz for 15
Sorachi Ace 1.5 oz for 5

Add 1 oz cut dried lemon peel and 1 oz sweet orange peel @ flame out!

I used WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast fermented @ 66 and I am LOVING IT!!!

I love this beer. Best I've brewed in a looong time..OK OK OK only I've brewed in a loooooooong time!:D
Cheers
Jay

Did you use whole or pellet hops? Your website only lists whole hops, and not Sorachi Ace.

Thanks

I just brewed this yesterday, starting to take off in the frem chamber. *** it seams like there are still lessons to learn with brewing.... this batch.... DON'T TALK TO THE PERSON WEIGHING AND CRUSHING YOUR GRAIN... after everything was set to mash in... WTF... the 11# of 2-row were not crushed. good thing i had some maris otter around. so, with a #26 grain bill, for 11 gal, my OG was 1.048... a little light for what i should of had with a correct crush.... Note to self... should have went to Redding and not Grass Valley....

Thanks for the recipe and can't wait to see what the lemon and hops do.

ParadiseBrewer

I just brewed this yesterday, starting to take off in the frem chamber. *** it seams like there are still lessons to learn with brewing.... this batch.... DON'T TALK TO THE PERSON WEIGHING AND CRUSHING YOUR GRAIN... after everything was set to mash in... WTF... the 11# of 2-row were not crushed. good thing i had some maris otter around. so, with a #26 grain bill, for 11 gal, my OG was 1.048... a little light for what i should of had with a correct crush.... Note to self... should have went to Redding and not Grass Valley....

Thanks for the recipe and can't wait to see what the lemon and hops do.

ParadiseBrewer

You know where we are brotha' Next time call me well work out some shipping details! It will be killer I am sure.
But yeah you should have gone to Redding!! :D

My keg kicked this weekend during a party. It was a huge hit and I was pretty sad that it was gone. Nice job

Finally brewed a 5.5 gallon batch yesterday--my OG was low at 1.46, but I don't mind if this comes out under 5% abv. I have some ideas about why my efficiency was so low.

My first time using Citra--couldn't believe how good it smells. Tasted the wort before heading into primary and the lemon profile is certainly there--can't wait to see how it turns out. I used Wyeast 2565 since my HBS doesn't sell White Labs, so it might turn out a little different that your original recipe.

Using a starter and fermentation took off in 3 hours or so. I wouldn't be surprised if fermentation is done in under a week. We'll see....

Thanks again for the recipe--sure seems like it'll be a great beer.

My keg kicked this weekend during a party. It was a huge hit and I was pretty sad that it was gone. Nice job
I almost cry when my kegs of this beer kick! Just kicked one last week myself!
Finally brewed a 5.5 gallon batch yesterday--my OG was low at 1.46, but I don't mind if this comes out under 5% abv. I have some ideas about why my efficiency was so low.

My first time using Citra--couldn't believe how good it smells. Tasted the wort before heading into primary and the lemon profile is certainly there--can't wait to see how it turns out. I used Wyeast 2565 since my HBS doesn't sell White Labs, so it might turn out a little different that your original recipe.

Using a starter and fermentation took off in 3 hours or so. I wouldn't be surprised if fermentation is done in under a week. We'll see....

Thanks again for the recipe--sure seems like it'll be a great beer.

Next time I brew this I am going to DBL the Lemon peel, just for kicks and see if its tooooo 2 much. I am also going to pitch an american yeast. Not sure what one yet. Any suggestions? I mean for the love of science and all! LOL
This beer kit has been a MONSTER seller in the store! I have people on their 4th and 5th batch!
Who would have thougt?:D

Cheers
Jay

im going to brew something similar with 0.25 oz of ace at 60 min and 0.5 oz ace at flame out. I then will add vodka soaked lemon peels to taste in the keg. I was thinking american hefe WLP320 yeast at its lower temp (66F).

Thanks for the post dude, your recipe definitely influenced mine. For a five gallon batch, I used:
5# 2 row
5# wheat
.5# carapils
.5# carahell (crystal 10)
.5oz Simcoe (60 mins)
1oz Citra (5mins)
Wyeast 1272 (American ale ii)

Mashed at 152-153

Looks and smells great, fermenting away right now.

Just to clarify before I run with this recipe...Jaybird's original recipe had the Citra at 60min, and Simcoe at the end. Yours is reverse. Is that correct? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back