Really high estimates OGs from using Brewtoad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
I've been using brewtoad for my last 3-4 all grain recipes. Each time, the site gives me a really high estimate for the OG. Example: when making a rye porter today, Brewtoad gave me an estimate of a 1.075 OG. I tested my pre-boil gravity and it was 1.040, which I estimated would end up around 1.050-ish post boil. Added a half pound LME late in the boil and ended up with 1.057. Previously, I thought that it was too course a mill, but I've been milling it finer and have even switched to getting premilled base grain from morebeer.

I have my efficiency set at 65%. In order to get closer to what I'm actually getting, I'd have to scale it to 10-20% on Brewtoad. Am I missing something? Anyone else had problems like this from the site or am I just getting bad efficiency?

Here is the grain bill for the recipe (note, this is for a 4 gallon batch):
2 Row malt-5.5 lb
Rye malt-2 lb
Munich malt -1.5 lb
British crystal 70/80 - 0.5 lb
Flaked barley- 0.5 lb
Black pattent-=0.4 lb

Brewtoad may not be pinpoint accurate; I check to make sure the ppg listed on the malts is accurate or at least reasonable. There's no way that they're that far off to where you have to reduce your efficiency down to 10-20%. The software is more or less accurate.

I suggest that you do the math yourself and figure out your efficiency http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html . Also, have you tested your worts using different hyrdometers? Is the wort you're testing at 60F? If the wort is hotter, it'll give you a lower reading.

i did my calculations using the method from the john palmer page and got readings much closer to what i've been actually getting. i'm thinking brewtoad isn't adjusting it's calculation for 4 gallon batches. thanks for the suggestion tedclev!

Back