Where the N stands for Nowledge.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthcircle

Reaction score
Lincoln, Nebraska. Sorry...little joke some of us make about the college kids here :cross:

I am new to brewing, but have studied it a bit, and tried every type of brew I can get my hands on. First batch will be brewing today or tomorrow, with the Brewers Best kit and their American Pale Ale ingredients. It has proper instructions, that I have read and cross referenced with the noob forum instructions here. Should be a snap.

I can't wait to start my new hobby, and try some more "real" recipes!:tank::mug:

-5th (aka: Kurt)

Welcome!

you cought my attention with the N for knowlege... my wife is a Nebraska grad who says that all the time. We go back that way on ocassion for football games and family.

Good luck on the first brew I am sure it will turn out great! Something to note the fermentation times they sugest will work but I (and others on here) have found better results using longer times. I generally for most average alcohal content ales use 4 days primary and 10 days secondary then a 30 day bottle or keg aging.

any questions you have can be answerd on here or they probably cant be answered. Just be patient the yeast know what they are doing. :ban:

:mug: I have a friend that has been brewing for a long time. He makes some of the best beer I have had. He is going to help me a bit. Kinda neat, because it will go well with my BBQ that I learned to make from another friend that does competition BBQ. Good friends are invaluable! :rockin:

Welcome!

you cought my attention with the N for knowlege... my wife is a Nebraska grad who says that all the time. We go back that way on ocassion for football games and family.

Good luck on the first brew I am sure it will turn out great! Something to note the fermentation times they sugest will work but I (and others on here) have found better results using longer times. I generally for most average alcohal content ales use 4 days primary and 10 days secondary then a 30 day bottle or keg aging.

any questions you have can be answerd on here or they probably cant be answered. Just be patient the yeast know what they are doing. :ban:

Almost forgot....worthless without pics. :D

ForumRunner_20111106_201853.jpg

Something to note the fermentation times they sugest will work but I (and others on here) have found better results using longer times. I generally for most average alcohal content ales use 4 days primary and 10 days secondary then a 30 day bottle or keg aging.
Just be patient the yeast know what they are doing. :ban:

I agree that the recipe times are usually very short.

However, I also think the times given above for primary and secondary are very short and the bottle conditioning is pretty long (not too long though). 14 days in primary and secondary is not enough time for the yeast to finish cleaning up.

I have had several brews that didn't even finish fermentation for more than a week. I don't think any of mine were done fermenting in just 4 days. I am now going 4 weeks in primary and then bottling, or, 2+ weeks in primary and 2+ weeks secondary. Then 2+ weeks bottle conditioning. Some were ready after 1 1/2 weeks in bottles and one took 2 1/2. I expect to do higher gravity beers that will take even longer.

Happy brewing! :rockin:

annasdadhockey said:
Welcome from Penn State country!!!:D

I am a Nebraska fan by proximity, but an Irish fan through and through. So you can hate on me twice..... lol

Haha. I never understood why that hasn't caught on elsewhere. Oh yeah, it has - it's called hot pockets, and you buy 'em in the store.

Hot pockets suck. Runza is ground beef, spices and cabbage (and cheese, or shrooms and cheese....etc.). Ok, hot pockets don't suck, but they aren't Runza's!! That would be like saying your home brew is the same as bud light.

Hey fifth!! The Lincoln Lagers Club might be beneficial too. They have some great members & know their brewing $h!t. As you can see by my signature, I too enjoy the Brew & BBQ. Cheers & welcome aboard!!!

Hey fifth!! The Lincoln Lagers Club might be beneficial too. They have some great members & know their brewing $h!t. As you can see by my signature, I too enjoy the Brew & BBQ. Cheers & welcome aboard!!!

I was told there are some real brewers in Lincoln....I will check that out. :mug:

Welcome to the forum!

(And welcome to the Big Ten from a Badger. :mug:)

I was told there are some real brewers in Lincoln....I will check that out. :mug:

Kirk @ Kirks Brew is a great resource too. Prices are reasonable & a knowledgeable brewer himself. He can hook you up with the Lincoln Lagers if you ask. Cheers!!!

Good luck on the brew... Hopefully it will be palatable by Thanksgiving weekend so you can nurse your sorrows after the Hawks are in town!

images

I-O-W-A

-Also, Welcome to the addiction!:rockin:

Fid said:
Good luck on the brew... Hopefully it will be palatable by Thanksgiving weekend so you can nurse your sorrows after the Hawks are in town!

I-O-W-A

-Also, Welcome to the addiction!:rockin:

I grew up in Atlantic, IA....and my brother went to IOWA.... when he moves back to IA City, we are going to have a party for the game wherever it is every year ;)

I grew up in Atlantic, IA....and my brother went to IOWA.... when he moves back to IA City, we are going to have a party for the game wherever it is every year ;)

In that case, Cheers! I'm originally from Missouri Valley, then Storm Lake, then Omaha, then U of I, now in Seattle. Good to meet you!

Welcome from another Hawkeye! Hope it's a good game on Black Friday. I collaborated on an AG recipe with a Husker fan a couple months ago. Hope I have some left to enjoy during the game...:mug:

Cheers!

(Always loved the N for Nowledge line)

And runza. ;)

Haha. I never understood why that hasn't caught on elsewhere. Oh yeah, it has - it's called hot pockets, and you buy 'em in the store.

Hot pockets suck. Runza is ground beef, spices and cabbage (and cheese, or shrooms and cheese....etc.). Ok, hot pockets don't suck, but they aren't Runza's!! That would be like saying your home brew is the same as bud light.

Oh I love me some Runza! The only problem with it is that after you eat it you've got about 3 minutes to find yourself a bathroom... STILL, Its well worth it.

Luckily, there are some similar things out there. We've got a Russian Bakery in Seattle called "Piroshky! Piroshky!" that delivers a similar product... on occasion you can even find a food truck dishing them out

Dig

piroshky.jpg

Wishing good luck to Nebraska to hamiltont got deleted??? Really??? I can understand the other ones being deleted, but come on!!!

Hello from a fellow Nebraska student beer noob. In fact I am sitting in class now reading the form!

Back