Help me christen my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMagee

Reaction score
So I bought a 4 tap keezer over the weekend from craigslist. It came with everything I need to start kegging (4 corney kegs, taps, co2 tank, etc) and I just need to make a few minor mods to it to get the setup I want.

However, before I go though with my mods, I want to get some beer in it and get the basics of kegging under my belt. The keezer is currently setup to only run 2 taps a time, which I'm going to fix with a manifold, so for now I just want to brew 2 different beers to have on tap.

I figure now is a good time to have some input from the community on what should be in my keezer. I was thinking I'd like a kolsch and maybe a scotch ale or porter.

I have a pretty good scottish 80 recipe, but I have never brewed a kolsch or a porter before. Any suggestions on recipies? What beers would you run for your first kegging experience?

A true kolsch should be lagered, so skip that unless you have the means to lager.

Go with the porter. Porters have enough body to cover minor mistakes, so they are an easy style to make consistently good beers.

Awesome find. +1 to brew what you like to drink. I would shoot for variety as well. If it were me I'd probably roll with an IPA, a Porter, and a couple lighter, easy drinking beers. Maybe a Pale Ale and A blond Ale. Ordinary Bitter? Scottish Ale? American Bitter? Go to town!

A true kolsch should be lagered, so skip that unless you have the means to lager.

Go with the porter. Porters have enough body to cover minor mistakes, so they are an easy style to make consistently good beers.

Wouldn't it be the same to just put it in the keezer and let it age for 4-6 weeks?

Sure, if your keezer is set at 34-36 degrees!

I keep mine around 50 degrees....optimum ale serving temp!

Well I do have the advantage of it being completely empty and a solid pipeline of bottles to wait it out...hmmmm.

I'm all about experimenting with new things, so I'm really just looking for recipe recommendations of people's favorite beers. I love browns, pales, porters, blonds, scotish, ipas, wheats, etc.

I want to do a double brewday this weekened and get this train rolling.

How about a mild ale? I've been really enjoying Orfy's Mild-Mannered. Great summer beer!

Back