Flat bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin porter with a OG of about 1.080 and a finishing gravity of about 1.018. The abv is a little over 8%. I kegged half and bottled half. Sadly, the bottled beer is very flat. When you have higher alcohol content beer, should you repitch yeast? I didn't use a yeast starter, just pitched 11/2 vials of yeast. Most of the fermenting finished in a few days. I left in secondary for 1 1/2 months. Been in bottles for almost 4 weeks.

What temp are you conditioning at? I had the same problem but was conditioning in my garage at around 50. Ive moved them inside. I should know in another week if that did the trick.

I primed prior to bottling and the bottles are in my basement which is around 65F. One thing different i did was split the priming sugar into 5 separate containers. I boiled 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 2 cups water. I split the beer into 5 one gallon secondaries so I could add different spices for comparison. I weighed the sugar solution and split into 5 equal parts

Flat bottled beers you make the rocking world go round!

Give the bottles some time. For ~1.050 beers, we usually recommend 3 weeks at room temperature. Anything higher will take longer. Here is a method that usually works:

1. In a few days, take one of the bottles and put it in the fridge (Kegerator if you have room).
  2. Take a pint of beer from the keg.
  3. Drink it.
  4. In 3 days, pour the chilled bottle beer into a glass.
  5. Drink it.
  6. If it has improved, horray!
  7. If it hasn't improved, wait some more an repeat.

65F is kinda low for carbing from what I've generally seen recommended.

Back