First Official Brew - Beer is a little flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CofCnJofLV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all..

So I officially finished my first bottling of beer.

It was a an American Light Kit from Brewer's Best.

I bottled on 12/22. The taste of the beer is very good. However, they taste a bit flat?

Is there anything I can do to fix that? (maybe open and drop in a carbonation drop)? Or is is to late and I am just stuck with a flat beer?

Thanks

C

Attachments

• 71WJyf4fdpL._SX522_.jpg
    71WJyf4fdpL._SX522_.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
Hello all..

I bottled on 12/22. The taste of the beer is very good. However, they taste a bit flat?

Is there anything I can do to fix that? (maybe open and drop in a carbonation drop)? Or is is to late and I am just stuck with a flat beer?

Thanks

C
What temperature did you bottle condition at? Lower temperatures (say 60F) will take more time to fully carbonate.
it has been a pretty consistent 65F

Hello all..

Thanks

C
I would wait another week or two.. maybe bring it into a room that is slightly warmer if you have one 70F?
8-9 days is a pretty quick bottle condition if memory serves me.

10 days at 65F isn't enough time/temp. I agree with warming it up to 70 - higher is ok. In the past, I conditioned in a closet that was about 65F IIRC - it took 5 weeks to carb up good. At 70, I give it 3 weeks.

Thats's a quick turnaround for bottle conditioned beer. I agree with @khannon let them sit another week or two and then refrigerate for 24 hours and tap into it.

Personally, i leave mine 3 weeks and never had a problem. They say patience is a virtue...especially for us brewers!

Also the temp you open your bottles and serve the beer at will make a difference on how much carbonation you perceive.

Ever since I've started brewing my own, I've put the bottles in a place where they can stay at or above 72°F (22°C) and lately have been using a cooler with a heating pad and temp controller to keep them at 72 - 73.5°F ( 22 - 23°C) for two maybe three weeks.

After that I don't worry about temperature much until they get put in the fridge. For me, ideal serving temp is just over 50°F (10°C).

Hello all..

Thanks

C
Perhaps you put little sugar for carbonation or there was air leaking in causing oxygenation.

Perhaps you put little sugar for carbonation or there was air leaking in causing oxygenation.
Let's get this out of the way: oxygenation is not the same as oxidation.

FWIW, my bottle conditioning environment offers me the opportunity to bottle condition at 'room'/'ambient' temperature from around 58F to around 65F. At 65F (room/ambient), I typically expect the bottles to be ready in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Back