Mistake made on adding Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieterVonBrauhaus

Reaction score
First off I apologize for the repost but I didn't get much of a response on this and I still have the question. I plan to open the bottles this weekend and wonder if any one else thought this was a good idea?

Hello all,
I decided to use Munton Carb Tabs on my last batch, but failed to read the instructions as I should have because I only put 1 tablet in each 12oz bottle.
I've stored bottles for a week now, can I open the bottles and add 4 more tabs and re-cap them?
Intructions for carb tabs are 5 or more tabs per 12oz bottle.
Thanks

conpewter said:
I'd open and add 4 or 5 more tabs depending on the temperature you've had them sitting at.

You'll need new caps for them.

I've done this before and it worked great. You'll be fine.

DieterVonBrauhaus said:
Got new caps, bottles been sitting in the dark at 60F. Great Thanks

You may want to increase the ambient temp. The yeast may not want to work at that temp. If they do, they will take a lot longer than normal.

Try to up the temp to 70-75° if possible.

JeepDiver said:
Need to have the bottles closer to 70-75 for carbbing up (probably still need to add more caps, but after you need to find a warmer place for them for a few weeks)

What he said :)

Since they have been sitting at 60 I'd go ahead with 4 tabs as the 1st tab you put in was probably not eaten by the yeast, better safe than sorry when talking about bottle bombs.

Once the bottles warm up for a day you may want to tip them over and back up to help stir the yeast back up.

Back