Using 2-row as base for Belgian Blond?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat147

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to make a Belgian Blond, not a Leffe clone, but in that ballpark. I see many recipes use Pilsner malt as a base, but I dont have any. Can you use 2-row pale instead? I'm using WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast, and have Belgian aromatic malt - will they alone provide the correct flavours? I'm guessing that Pilsner is used so the colour is nice and pale, right?

I made a batch very much like what you've proposed, albeit with home-toasted malt instead of aromatic. I won't say the flavors were correct, but they were delicious.

kingwood-kid said:
I made a batch very much like what you've proposed, albeit with home-toasted malt instead of aromatic. I won't say the flavors were correct, but they were delicious.

How'd you go about toasting the malt? Spread out on a cookie sheet and stick in the oven?

jat147 said:
Hi,
I want to make a Belgian Blond, not a Leffe clone, but in that ballpark. I see many recipes use Pilsner malt as a base, but I dont have any. Can you use 2-row pale instead? I'm using WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast, and have Belgian aromatic malt - will they alone provide the correct flavours? I'm guessing that Pilsner is used so the colour is nice and pale, right?

I've brewed Midwest Supplies Belgian Blonde and it was great. Their base malt consists of 5# 2-row and 4# wheat. I reallllly liked their recipe. It was a hit with everyone who had it. Here's a pic of it in the carboy. :mug:

image-1276202933.jpg

Back