Mixing yeasts...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdrumz

Reaction score
I just tried mixing a WYEAST London Ale III, with a mix of WYEAST 1056/Safale 05. My starter went absolutely bonkers and the yeast is currently in my 4 gallon batch of Glacier Pale Ale. (fermenting nicely at 70 degrees)

I wonder which flavor will dominate?
Hopefully the beer gives off some crispness and fruit/sweetness.
Trying to get some characteristics of each. (who knows how it will be?)

Hopefully, at worst case scenario....good enough to drink. :)

Anyone else tried doing something different like this and had "good" results?

I havent mixed during fermentation. I did an Arrogant Bastard clone a few years back; 4 gallons with 1056, 1 with some belgian yeast, and mixed them right before bottling. Interesting outcome. I fully intend to brew a batch this year and do a double fermentation; start with US-05 or something, and after a week or 2 reintroduce sugar in the form of a simple syrup and add a different yeast, maybe a 1056 or belgian yeast. I'm curious how yours is going to turn out with all 3 of them going at the same time.

I recently brewed an oatmeal stout with a mixed starter of Burton Ale wlp023, Trappist Ale wlp500, and some dregs from Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin. Sitting in secondary, but so far so good - a nice complex fruitiness coming through. I think combining yeast strains is an under-explored technique. Would be fun to try some more of it.

Back