Sediment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGuns20

Reaction score
I recently kicked my first brew, awesome taste... just one problem, I had a lot of sediment at the bottom of a few bottles.. What is a way to prevent these during transfer from POT?

When racking (transferring) from the brew pot to the primary it is not the end of the world to get a little bit of trub into the primary. After fermentation it is recommended to rack to a carboy for a secondary fermentation period to allow clearing of the sediment. This is usually about 2 weeks but may be more. During this time alot of sediment will settle out and your beer will be clearer.

The final racking is into the bottling bucket prior to bottling. This racking you want to be very careful and avoid getting any sediment suctioned up. Doing it this way (especially with the secondary fermentation period) there should be very little sediment other than some yeast from the carbonation process. Then you just have to be careful with the pour technique and leave a little in the bottle so as not to pour out the yeast into your glass.

Pouring the wort through a strainer into the primary fermenter seems to really reduce the amount of "trub" that gets into the primary. Of course the strainer needs to be sanitized.

Back