Crock pot recipes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank-Likes-Beer

Reaction score
The SWMBO and I are trying to make dinners easier and figured we should start putting the crock pot to use. About the only thing I use it for is making chili ...and she doesn't like chili. :D

So whatcha got for good crock pot recipies?

My wife uses the crock pot to cook the pork for chile verde a lot. That and refried beans. It's a good way to slow-cook individual ingredients, but I've never tried to make a whole dish in it.

When slow-cooking any kind of meat, my wife will pan fry it first for a minute, to get some browing and texture. That will also start to break down the cell walls so it will cook better in the crock pot.

Cheut the blog 365day of crocpotting. Or something like that. Sorry I'm on my iPhone and can't remember the name. My favorite is to make faux rottisierre chicken. Put whole chicken rubbed with spices on top of alum foil balls. Cook 5-6 hours. Don't add any liquid! Also can make easy baked potatoes.

I make a pot roast in the crock pot every other week. Flour the roast and brown it on as hot a skillet as possible. Put in crock pot on low. Deglaze the skillet with some beef broth and add to the pot. Add addition broth to bring it up to about 1/3 of the roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. When you get home, remove the roast and thicken the gravy (I sometimes use butter and flour roux or cornstarch). Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetable.

pork for chile verde a lot.

This is my favorite crock pot meal to make. I usually end up with 10+ servings of pulled pork. Enough for two dinners with leftovers for lunch plus one more dinner or lunch. Then you can also use it for pork tacos/burritos, pork enchiladas, put it over rice, quesadillas ect...

Just made a beef bourginon-type stew the other day.

Season and cube beef into 2 inch peices and brown on a hot skillet in batches. Remove the browned meat and set aside. Turn the temp down to medium and add sliced onions and celery. After they soften add four cloves of garlic, smashed. Cook for a minute more, then deglaze with about a cup of dry red wine, scraping up the brown bits.

Add all of this to the crock pot and add enough beef broth to cover. Cook on low for about 3 to 5 hours, or until the beef is tender. Strain out the beef and veg, and transfer the cooking liquid to a wide pot. Add a cup of baby carrots and three small quartered potatoes to the cooking liquid over medium low heat. Simmer the carrots and potatoes until they are tender, about 15 minutes. Add a cup of frozen peas directly in, and cook until heated through. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch or a roux. Add the cooked meat and veg back to the sauce, and let it sit, preferably overnight for the flavors to meld. Enjoy with a thick slice of crusty bread, and then take a nap.

Cheut the blog 365day of crocpotting. Or something like that. Sorry I'm on my iPhone and can't remember the name. My favorite is to make faux rottisierre chicken. Put whole chicken rubbed with spices on top of alum foil balls. Cook 5-6 hours. Don't add any liquid! Also can make easy baked potatoes.

Well, I just wasted half a day!

My wife uses the crock pot to cook the pork for chile verde a lot. That and refried beans. It's a good way to slow-cook individual ingredients, but I've never tried to make a whole dish in it.

When slow-cooking any kind of meat, my wife will pan fry it first for a minute, to get some browing and texture. That will also start to break down the cell walls so it will cook better in the crock pot.

Hook it up with her recipe for that, it sounds awesome!

I crockpot 2-3 times a week then eat the leftovers every day I don't... no joke. It is easier and the results are great.

Simple stuff usually like...
- beef w/ fajita seasoning, garlic & onions then an hour before serving I add peppers and carrots then served over rice
- cream of mushroom soup with a big hunk of beef
- pork & BBQ sauce then pull it apart and make sandwiches
- spaghetti sauce w/ mushrooms, garlic, onions & a couple chicken breasts
- so easy and so many options

Back