PACMAN-what should I do about temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
12 hours post-brew and my primary temp is 71 deg...with Pacman

But the ambient temp in the closet is 59 deg....the fermentation is going like crazy. Great yeast!

I know Rogue ferments at 60 deg. So, do I need to move the fermentor to the garage (53 deg.) until fermentation slows down?

Will I shock the yeast?

The primary is a 6.5g glass carboy...maybe this will insulate from large temp drops.

Should I wait it out in the closet and risk off-flavors?

Brew-5.5g Citra/Simcoe APA
citra%20simcoe%20hour%2012.JPG

If I were you I would keep it where it is. I wouldn't want to cool too much and in another day or so as the fermentation slows, it should start moving closer to the ambient temp (59) anyway. You could throw a small fan on it for the next day or so if you have one, but I would be careful risking too much of a temp swing. 71 deg. is on the high side of this yeasts temp, but I don't think I would be too concerned with off flavors. On another note, it is pretty impressive that your brew is 12 deg. over ambient temp. That Pacman yeast is aggressive! Good luck.

I second the "leave it be" response.

The general rule for fermentation is it's ok to increase the temperature but never a good idea to drop it more than ~4F once fermentation had commenced. If the beer is too estery (from the higher temp), chalk it up to a learning experience for next time.

Back