Maximum time in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
My Porter has been in my primary for 16 days. Is that OK?
I have not been able to transfer until possibly tonite?Then it will be in secondary for about 12 days before bottles.:mug:

Oh, that's almost my minimum time! Maximum...no easy answer, but I can tell you now, 16 days ain't it. You could easily leave it in there for a few months and it'd be fine.

I tend to do 4 weeks @ at least. 16 days won't hurt anything. IMHO another 5-15 days would be better. That would give the yeast more time to clean up after theirselves.

Cheers,

If you haven't figured it out from the replies, the general consensus here is to skip a secondary and just keep the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks (or more). Easier, less risk of contamination, and seems to work just as well - some say better. Like everything else, there is disagreement, but you are way safe at 16 days.

If you haven't figured it out from the replies, the general consensus here is to skip a secondary and just keep the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks (or more). Easier, less risk of contamination, and seems to work just as well - some say better. Like everything else, there is disagreement, but you are way safe at 16 days.
I recently did this for the first time, and I'm converted, although the risk of infection isn't the selling point for me - it's increased yield from one fewer rackings.

I wouldn't even begin to worry about a beer in primary til around a month, and I'm sure you can go longer without much risk.

I adopted this method after my 2nd brew. It's nice to have a carboy for dry-hopping and whatnot, but it's REALLY convenient to rack my beers directly from the pot to the bucket to the bottling bucket.

Back