Keeping control of temperature during secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
So for my primary fermentation I have my bucket it a swamp cooler which is keeping it at a nice 65 degrees. I'm about to transfer half of it into a secondary and add some coffee to it and see what it does.

Since I don't have enough room for the carboy and bucket in the cooler, would it be bad if the secondary got a little warmer once primary is done?

Basically I need to know how important is temperature control during conditioning compared to fermentation.

Note: I don't mean that it will get hot, but it will rise about 10-12 degrees if I take it out of the cooler.

As long as we're not talking in the 90's or more, it will be fine. Temp control is really only crucial during the initial few days of fermentation. I don't worry after the first week in primary.

Depending on how long you've had the beer in the fermenter, you might consider just bottling the other half.

As long as we're not talking in the 90's or more, it will be fine. Temp control is really only crucial during the initial few days of fermentation. I don't worry after the first week in primary.

That's good to hear. I've got a mini fridge for my 5 gallon buckets and another one that is dead, I've been moving week old batches into the dead fridge and temps are holding but not as exactly as I'd like.

Back