Feared infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwongburger

Reaction score
Hi all. Recently transferred a iipa from primary to secondary and now it appears there are some stringy looking thing on the surface that look like an infection thoughts?

image-2118216680.jpg

Sorry for the dark pic I could take another if it would help.

-mrwongburger

Pretty hard to tell from that picture for sure.

It appears to be just yeast/co2 bubbles..

If it's stringy though... could be something else.

Avoid using flash, and put it in a well lighted area, or turn on all the lights in the room. Hard to keep from getting harsh reflection on clear plastic/glass, so you may have to move the camera around to find the best angle.

You could have picked up the infection from any number of places. That's why I never rack to a secondary. Not worth the risk...

Hard to say if those are gas bubbles or some sort of pellicle forming. I'm inclined to believe that they're just aggregating gas bubbles.
I agree with charley, though. Secondary really only necessary if you're adding fruit or have a heavy trub layer or something.
Not that that helps you now...

Post again in a few days if it progresses or nothing changes.

The more I see of these infection pictures, the more I am convinced why it is better to not rack to secondary. I see so many infected batches after moving to secondary that I still don't know why it is done other than to add fruit. Of course this is just MHO.

Secondary isn't the issue... honestly.. It's no different than racking from primary to bottle. If they are all clean then it's all good.

I think it looks normal honestly... Give it a week and see what changes.... I think it looks like gas bubbles and yeast rafts.

Thanks for the quick for the response...I figured it would look pretty gross if it was infected. It's only my fifth batch so I guess i was a little more paranoid than I should have been.

Back