Frustration! I need your help! Flat beer and no pressure from picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollner

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I need your expertise. I'm a very first time kegger.

I just tapped my keg today. I'm getting a trickle out of the picnic tap from my kegged beer. I had it voer 3+ days on the C02. I tighted around the 'out' disconnects and I cranked up the PSI to 30+. I'm getting flat beer that trickles out of the picnic tap.

All of my setup is new as I just bought a new kegging kit including all of the quick disconnects, CO2 tank and regulator.

I would be so grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks so much!

Andy

If its just a trickle are you out of co2 a small leak would drain a bottle in three days. Also if you pull the pressure relief on top of the keg do you have a good rush of co2? If everything seems right than your pick up tube may be clogged. If you have tried everything pull out the dip tube and make sure it's clear ( only do this as a last resort I've legged over 70 batches and never had a clogged dip tube). Hopefully this helps.

I think the leak is a possibility check to see if your bottle is still full.
If you have CO 2 in the bottle then somehow it's not getting into the keg.
If the pick up tube being clogged were the problem, the beer that did come out wouldn't be flat.
Start by checking the bottle, if you have gas in the bottle pull the pressure relief on the keg. if there isn't any pressure in a keg, somehow the gas isn't making it to the keg.
Start checking the regulator. Make sure the valve on the tank is all the way open, the pressure is set where you want it and the valve after the regulator is open.
After you check all that post your results.

If the pick up tube being clogged were the problem, the beer that did come out wouldn't be flat.

Sounds to me like he had it serving pressure for 3 days, and then briefly tried turning the pressure up to 30 psi after he experienced problems, so it's very likely that the beer isn't carbed yet.

Sounds to me like he had it serving pressure for 3 days, and then briefly tried turning the pressure up to 30 psi after he experienced problems, so it's very likely that the beer isn't carbed yet.

Proper carbing take 2-3 WEEKS some have luck burst carbing but the risk of over carbing out weigh the possible benefits of a shorten time frame. Set to 10-12 psi wait 2 weeks and tap, may have some sediment in 1st pint or so but should clear up after that.

Hey everyone!
Thanks for your help!
I finally got some beer flowing, although I'm not 100% sure what the problem was. I simply took the tap off, ran some water through it to make sure there was no clog, put it back on tight and then the beer flowed well.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Andy

Latest posts

Back