Announcing the third (or is it the fourth?) annual Masstoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so we're going to set the cut off time at 3:00 PM on October 16 as the last chance to buy a raffle ticket. That will give us a chance to download the latest list of participants and get everyones ticket into the proverbial hat. We'll do the drawing at 4:00 PM. That should give us time for everyone to do whatever they need to do before we pull the winners.

I'm figuring the 'Grand Prize' is the all grain brew rig, so I'm proposing we pick that first. That way everyone entered has an equal chance to win it. We'll pick that ticket out and put it aside till the end. Then we'll go thru the rest of the prizes, pick and announce them, then announce the winner of the "Grand Prize." Then we drink beer. Anyone have any problems with doing it that way?

PTN

We can.

You can't.

I don't want you falling off your brew rig scaffolding and scalding yourself with sparge water.

Again!

At least not in my driveway. My insurance agent is a buddy of mine and will be at the party and I don't want him to have a heart attack. Go do that at Brian's.

PTN

OK... Here it is... Everyone except Rick gets to drink beer before the drawing.

For that matter everyone except Rick gets to drink beer while they are brewing.

Rick gets iced tea. Unsweetened. You don't even want to imagine him on a sugar rush.

Nothing personal, my insurance agent is dictating terms.

PTN

Rick gets iced tea. Unsweetened. You don't even want to imagine him on a sugar rush.

PTN

Confused, is there going to be brewing at this event? Thought it was just a party where we got drunk, stuffed ourselves on pig, and acted like jackasses.

Ya, right. My rates would shoot up 10,000% if you rolled your Hindenburg Brew Rig across town lines.

Here is a word to the wise for all of you boys and girls at home who are contemplating building your own brew sculptures. Brew sculptures require burners that throw large amounts of heat to boil your brew. (Especially if you have a really short "mash paddle" and try to compensate with a 45 gallon kettle, like someone we all know and love. It takes a lot of both time and heat to get 45 gallons of wort boiling.)

Building said brew stand out of 2 x 4's is 'sub-optimal.' 2 x 4's are made of wood. Wood that is right next to a burner throwing out 250,000 BTU's will do one of two things. It will burn or it will burn then explode. Having your brew stand burning in your gargae is 'sub-optimal,' at best.

Sure Brian. Bring it along. I just called Bay State Gas and they ASSURED me that the line will be done on Friday afternoon. I wish I could help you bring it over but I'll be tied up. Doing something. I forget what.

PTN

Confused, is there going to be brewing at this event? Thought it was just a party where we got drunk, stuffed ourselves on pig, and acted like jackasses.

And brew.

Just cause there was a hurricane last year and the brewing was deferred doesn't man that we stop it forever. You better bring a rig along.

PTN

Oh Paul... Paul, Paul, Paul...

It's happened... your immense chubbiness is finally starting to cut off blood flow to your brain and you've started to babble nonsense.

Here's the thing with heat... it goes... UP. Heat rises. You can look that up. It's on the interwebs and everything.

So keeping with the laws of thermodynamics (sorry Paul... that means "what heat does"), when I fire my burners, the heat goes... UP.. into the pots. Obviously there is a fair amount of reflected heat but that is why I have cement board as the base where my burners sit. See... cement board doesn't burn... or "explode" like your claiming wood does.

Now... the cement board gets hot too! and THAT was sitting on wood before. Which is why the WOOD stand was getting a bit hot too. Luckily... I have a good friend that goes by Babalu and he works at a textile mill. They make this fabric called Nomex. It is an incredible good insulator and it is fire proof...

so what did I do?? Other than stuffing my pig-pit lid with the stuff? I cut strips of it and insulated all of my wood around the stand from the cement board... so now... the wood doesn't even get warm.

I've brewed a ton of batches on that rig, some that required those burners going full tilt for 14+ hours (the turbid mash lambic) and my wood stand doesn't even get warm to the touch..

Soooooo... try some fruit... maybe some vegetables... drop down below 650 and get the blood flowing to your brain again.

PTN

Well, I'm not brewing that day, so I'll just be drinking beer.

Your beer.

You'll have to point your insurance agent out so I can fall onto him.

I have a designated driver for the ride home.

Really, Paul. How is inviting your insurance agent a good idea? Propane burners, alcohol abuse, huge-ass smoker... all kinds of combustibles. Gonna give the poor guy a heart attack.

Oh Jesus... here we go...

YESSSSSSSSSSS Rick... you cut your wrist on a carboy... We've hearrrrrrd alllllllllllll about it.

That's Rick's standard greeting when he meets someone for the first time, "Oh hi, I'm Rick. Let me tell you about the time I cut my wrist on a carboy".

BTW, there was a great big box on my doorstep when I woke up this afternoon. Inside was a huge freakin' pot from MoreBeer. I wish I had more time to drool over it before I had to run out the door. I really have to figure out a way to put the fix in so that I win that barstid.

PTN

On a serious note it has been really amazing to see the generosity of folks throughthis whole thing. Paul, you've done an amazing job getting this organized and the folks donating stuff has been incredible.

On a serious note it has been really amazing to see the generosity of folks throughthis whole thing. Paul, you've done an amazing job getting this organized and the folks donating stuff has been incredible.

Maybe you, Rick, Yeager and I can all have a group hug and sing Kumbaya next Saturday.

PTN

Man I am getting so pumped for this. Can't wait to meet everyone. Beyond homebrewing, photography is another hobby of mine, so I am coming armed with beer and my camera bag to document any and all shenanigans.

I'm new to this forum and new to brewing as well (been brewing since may this year) so I'd be interested in coming out! Where is this taking place? I live in East Boston currently.

Man I am getting so pumped for this. Can't wait to meet everyone. Beyond homebrewing, photography is another hobby of mine, so I am coming armed with beer and my camera bag to document any and all shenanigans.

Shenanigans.

Is that like when Cape calls his wife up and tells her he is at the store and will be on the way home shortly, then puts the phone back in his pocket and pocket dials her back and she gets to listen to him act the fool for the next hour at one of our other brewfests? Is that an example of the shenanigans of which you speak? Cause I gotta tell ya, I'd give a year off Yeagers life for a picture of the look on his face when he realized she'd been listening in for the last hour. Babalu was laughing so hard he nearly peed himself at those shenanigans.

Oh, one other thing. Don't leave your camera lying around. Ask Colby why.

PTN

BTW,

Masstoberfest takes flight rain or shine. I'm going to have a fairly large hunk-o-hawg in the back of my truck on Friday. It's getting cooked one way or the other. Just as insurance, who has portable awnings? I have a 10 X 10 portable and the gazebo on the porch. Unfortunately the gazebo got hammered when that wind storm came thru last week and the roof ripped at every point where it attached to the frame. So if you have a portable awning please consider bringing it. Just thinking ahead.

PTN

Shenanigans.

Is that like when Cape calls his wife up and tells her he is at the store and will be on the way home shortly, then puts the phone back in his pocket and pocket dials her back and she gets to listen to him act the fool for the next hour at one of our other brewfests? Is that an example of the shenanigans of which you speak? Cause I gotta tell ya, I'd give a year off Yeagers life for a picture of the look on his face when he realized she'd been listening in for the last hour. Babalu was laughing so hard he nearly peed himself at those shenanigans.

Oh, one other thing. Don't leave your camera lying around. Ask Colby why.

PTN

LOL!! Oh man... BOTH of those times were effin histerical. I thought Babalu was gonna puke he was laughing so hard over the camera thing.

And man, I dont think I've ever been as stone cold busted like that time with my phone. "hi Honey pookins, I'm ON THE ROAD, I'm be home shortly. Hopefully there wont be any traffic". (THINK I hang up the phone) "phew!!! Now i can have another beer! Meh, I'll just tell her there was an accidwnt or something"

.... Go to pick up my phone two minutes later... And hear my wife say... "I'M STILL HERE MORON. I have been listening to you for the last two minutes. How's the accident??? Cleared up yet?"

Buuuuuuuusted. Bwaaaw bwaaw bwaaaaaaaaaw

Good times. Good times.

Paul.... just a thought... you might want to post another thread that is basically just the webcast annoucement telling folks that this disaster will be for everyone to view if they want.

Unless folks are specifically following this thread, they wouldn't know and I think you'll get a few folks that wouldn't mind watching this train wreck.

Me and my girlfriend will be there. I don't have an awning, but should folks bring camp chairs and the like? I have at least two.

Chairs are good. I have a bunch of plastic ones but probably not enough for everyone coming.

Will, that is great about the awning. I appreciate it. Even if it's nice and sunny it is still a good idea to have a few up. I believe Rick has one also, I'll put the arm on him, too.

And as far as what to bring, I'm just asking that if you are coming you bring a dish of something. Anything. Don't matter to me. Appetizer, desert, whatever. If you like it, bring it. I promise you, the hungry hoards there will be grateful and enjoy whatever is there on the communal table. I do know that for main course meat type stuff, I'm BBQing a whold hawg and both Yeager and Melana are bringing Brisket. I'll probably make up a batch of ABT's and Alice is planning on going in to the Haymarket on Sat morning so I assure you that she will try to balance out the lipid levels with a salad of some sort.

PTN

Paul.... just a thought... you might want to post another thread that is basically just the webcast annoucement telling folks that this disaster will be for everyone to view if they want.

Unless folks are specifically following this thread, they wouldn't know and I think you'll get a few folks that wouldn't mind watching this train wreck.

I'll get either Yeager or Joos on that.

PTN

Any rough idea of how many people will be there? We will likely be bringing a desert, but I want to make sure there's enough.

I'm bringing 2 full briskets that I am smoking this Sunday, so we will definitely have enough protein.

I will be broadcasting this, and will be using ptn's iphone. That way if I drop it in one of the brews it won't be mine. :)

Latest posts

Back