Extremely Filthy Moldy Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
So I haven't brewed for a while now and I have been very lazy with cleaning one particular glass carboy. At the time I used it as a secondary for a chili beer. after racking the beer off I simply left the glass carboy to sit and not clean the thing and since then the chills have gotten pretty nasty and moldy. I usually use an oxyclean soak to take care of most carboys but have a feeling Billy Mayes won't cut it.

Anyway, do you all have some sort of cleaner or acid in mind that would totally dissolve these chilis to a liquid state to make cleaning a little less nasty?

Use oxiclean a couple of nights in a row. Then star san. Then if it's still nasty, you really did a good job mucking it up.

Then use oxiclean again.

You have to embrace the nastiness. After all, you created it.

Didn't your mother ever tell you, "You're the one who made the mess, so now you have to clean it up"?

Yeah. That's why I don't add a lot of funky things to my beers anymore. :p

ok, I'll try the oxyclean thing. Never new my mother so I guess I didn't get that advice.

You would think there has to be some strong stuff you could buy at home depot that would just annihilate those chilis. You know kind of like in breaking bad.

There is. It just isn't food safe and may etch the glass or plastic. Just dump it out on your neighbor's lawn and be done with it

give it a long soak in oxiclean.. and all will be will right with the world.

Back