cream stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wagon

Reaction score
im starting to work on a nice cream stout and the book i have (the complete joy of homebrewing) speaks very little about adding sugars. So im wondering, when do i add the lactose?? and what varyations are there in teqniques.

In Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale the recipe adds the lactose at 15 mins left in boil... I believe, might have been ten. Check out the thread.

And added again before bottling.

It doesn't matter when you add the lactose. Since it is generally a small amount, it won't change the bittering utilization. If you are creating a recipe, waiting until the batch is in the clearing tank and add to taste.

Cheesefood uses some at boil and bottling for his cream ale. However it doesn't matter if you add at bottling or not. So add it any time during the boil, in secondary, or at bottling. It doesn't matter much... Though his is a cream ale, not a cream stout it still doesn't matter since we're talking lactose here...

If you're unsure how much to add, throw in what you "think" you want at brew-boil time.

After your secondary is done, give it a taste when you move it to a bottling bucket and decide if you need more. If so, yes...boil some more in a cup or so of water until a full boil. I rarely go more than a few minutes of full boil. Then cool that mix and add to the bottling bucket and bottle/keg.

Back