My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot all the great Kristofferson songs, including Me and Bobby McGee and Sunday Morning Comin' Down. The greatest line in music is from that song..."Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert." Brilliant!

illini88 said:
Forgot all the great Kristofferson songs, including Me and Bobby McGee and Sunday Morning Comin' Down. The greatest line in music is from that song..."Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert." Brilliant!

+1
Sunday morning coming down was actually written for kris Kristoffeson, by johnny cash. :)
He reckoned he couldn't do the song justice and it needed kris to make it right

:( I've already forgiven you for being completely wrong about that. The song has an interesting history between Kristofferson and Cash, but it was without question penned by the former.

What is hard for me to comprehend is how easy it is to fact check such an item before "correcting" me.

www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3904

But the fact you're from one of my favorite places on the planet (Galway) I find it that much easier to forgive you! Cheers.

illini88 said:
But the fact you're from one of my favorite places on the planet (Galway) I find it that much easier to forgive you! Cheers.

:)
I wasn't correcting you per se, but after rechecking my info I should have said 'cash recorded it first, but it need kris to sound right' I apologise unreservedly especially as its my dads favourite song and he always wants me to play it...
Galways great :)

I always thought it was JC tune, never knew Kris Kristofferson wrote it. Definetly a very moving song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the KKristofferson reminder. I saw him in a star is born and he was part of the (edit) Highwaymen. Never knew he was a songwriter or famous singing artist.

Here's another one of his.. don't know if he wrote it but he probably did.

An intro from Willie Nelson, a narrative by Johnny Cash.. Kris Kristofferson "Help Me Make it Through the Night" intertwined with a few philosophical thoughts.

Wow... I thought Johnny Cash wrote this one as well. Still love when he sings it but here is the man who wrote it.

I had no idea Kris Kristofferson had written so many songs, the ones I love. I think KKs music writing skill was shadowed by Johnny Cash and a few others who sang them real well and got credit for them because they were great singers.

Anyway. Here's another song written by Mr Kristofferson and sung by the Highwaymen.

Dan
Have a listen to this one from KK
It's called the pilgrim, at the start he lists the names that he wrote it about

Thank you Galaway! I started this thread with songs from my favorite country artist. Three hundred and seventy two post later (admitedly a few were mine) so much great music has been posted here that it puts me into a state of awe.

Thankyou for a great post about KK.. I never would have known he was such a great song writer if good people like you didn't open my eyes.

Cheers my friend.

Dan

I will always enjoy the old rodeo songs from Chris Ledoux.

Cfonnes great song! Reminded me of my cousin, not going to say his name because he is no longer with us. He was an older cousin, raised on a ranch. He played football in HS and I remember reading as a young kid his HS senior year book. He was described as "tough, llean and mean". I was around 13 years old when I read that and it reinforced (for right or wrong) an image I had held in my mind of my cousin.

He was a good guy and 32 years later I can still hear his voice and remember his smile.

Again, thanks for playing this song. It brought me back home to a different and better time.

These guys, "The Monkeys" are a far cry from country but I'd listen to them before I listen to the pop country crap. :D

These guys, "The Monkeys" are a far cry from country but I'd listen to them before I listen to the pop country crap. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUSdvwEC_Y

And whether anyone wishes to think about it or not, this is likely the start of the American Idol-esque shows. :eek: I too don't listen to much country but what I do listen to is certainly NOT the pop crap. :mug: Pop country is the one styling that makes my skin crawl.

Sundays always bring me down. Thought about putting on a Johnny Cash song but have posted it before.. This isn't country it's Louie Armstrong. I've been living life lately in a blur and I'll tell you internet people truthfully because I'm anonymous.. I'm really down and depressed. Life hasn't been good the last year. Not at all

So whatever..

Here's Louis Armstrong!

Absolutley BeerKnurd. He either wrote it for Kris Kristopherson or vice versa. Johnny sang it but I think it was for KK.

Here you go; both of them..

Dan said:
Absolutley BeerKnurd. He either wrote it for Kris Kristopherson or vice versa. Johnny sang it but I think it was for KK.

More to the point, sorry about your troubles. I went through a divorce a few years ago that put me through the wringer, but came out of it a better person. Hopefully you'll end up better for whatever you're going through.

Sundays always bring me down. Thought about putting on a Johnny Cash song but have posted it before.. This isn't country it's Louie Armstrong. I've been living life lately in a blur and I'll tell you internet people truthfully because I'm anonymous.. I'm really down and depressed. Life hasn't been good the last year. Not at all

So whatever..

Here's Louis Armstrong! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD8BTetqIW0

Do like me some Satchmo, Dan. I had a poster of him on my bedroom wall when I was a teenager (and really, how many teenager's would put this up?). He summed up then - and occasionally now - a 'somber' or 'bluesy' time for me - but always reminded me that there was a smile in the process. ;)

Been away about a week, logged onto a computer tonight and checked out this thread.

Wow! Note to self "Don't be depressing Dan!".

We all have worries in life, sometimes we feel great and sometimes worries overcome us. To all who sent supportive PMs; I'm not exactly sure what to say except thank you from my heart.

Seems as I might have killed the thread with my downer crap.. Here's a song that I've always loved, it isn't country and I've seen it here on this thread before (probably me who posted it :D )

I just came back from my past home in paradise, had to fly out for a funeral. Life is ever revolving and I realise my worries are insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

On the plane ride back my seat was in the middle of a large family..at least 3 generations of grandmas and grandpas, moms and dads, aunties and uncles, sisters and brothers. It was a bit noisy but really kind of nice.

So here is to family, love and to life.

Dan up-plugged

Hank is getting older. Singing with some friends. Pretty effing cool. Family and friends. I'm envious

Unplugged? Well, maybe not but for me I'm opening up.

I enjoy getting a bit older and unpredictive.. Nut's some may call me.

Here's a song about as country as the love of my life.

Love this song though.

Old favorite, one that has been played before and will play again. This one maybe just for myself since this threads gone cold.

Back