Help- Need some explanations about Keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
So i have a fairly large chest freezer that finds little use and was given to me. Im sick and tired of bottling, and im ready to kick my homebrewing up a notch and go with 5 gallon corny kegs. I have the following questions:

-What are the dimensions of a corny keg?
-How can i control the temperature of my Keezer without fooling with excessive wiring (im not much of an electrician)
-How much can i expect to spend turning this freezer into the MOST BASIC Keezer? (function, not looks, is important)

Kegs-new.jpg

The ranco controllers can be bough either prewired or you can wire them yourself. I did it myself because its cheaper but its your choice. Look in my signature and you can see my own keezer project if your curious. I would assume besides the hardware for actual kegging (co2 tank, regulator,taps,hosing,kegs, gas and liquid quick disconnects, possibly an air distributor), you may want to build a collar to allow for excess height although you can get by without it. The purpose is to allow more headroom for the cornies as well as possibly allowing the co2 tank (mines 15 lb and tall) to fit inside as well as allowing cornie kegs to fit on the compressor hump inside most freezers. Look in the DIY section on here to see other conversions.

A pre-wired Ranco analog controller can be had from morebeer for $55. I didn't comparison-shop so you may be able to find it for much cheaper from ebay or other places.... or you can get the digital version from morebeer for $100.

a basic 2-corney keg system from midwest supplies can be had for $200. You may be able to get it cheaper from other sources as well.

*edit*
I have the Love Controller pictured above. It's pretty easy to wire up, but if you're comfortable doing that, the Ranco controllers are pretty good too, from what I've read in these forums.

Back