Saving a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted some input on ideas for secondary aging a belgian dark strong. Basically what happened was due to equipment failure, 10 gallons of a belgian pale into 5 gallons of a belgian dark strong. It has fermented out from 1.094 to 1.027 and hasn't moved in a few days. I used the belgian ardennes strain from wyeast but it has a lot of hot alcohol taste but its not that overpowering. I'm just curious what peoples experiences are with aging belgian ales since this is the first one I've brewed. Any help would be appreciated.

Aging is easy, it's the wait that's hard!
I just keep mine in the carboy with the airlock on and let mine sit on the concrete in my basement ~60F constant. Give it 6 months, you won't regret it.

I love the 3522 strain, the fusel flavors will mellow and disappear. You may also like the Flanders Golden too.

Yeah, my BDSA had a pretty hot alcohol taste in the first month but mellowed out nicely with aging. Just give the yeast some time to do their job and it should be fine.

Agreed, give it some time, I know it sounds weird and HBT may give me hell, but cantaloupe helps mellow the flavor, and really is delicious

Latest posts

Back