Tss2 switch box/panel mount build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
So upon seeing other TSS2 temp switch builds I decided I want to build one. So I went, bought a freezer and placed it in the garage. I'm now looking at the TSS2-2100 love controls switch. Problem I'm having is that I need it to heat in the winter and cool in the summer, which it can do but the specs say that it's operating temp is 32 degrees F. Anyone have any experience using these things in temps colder than that? Up here in smAlbany the temp can get quite cold and my garage isn't heated. I called Dwyer and the guy was just reading the specs and said "no" but I was looking for more than that. I was looking for something more along the lines of "Well, if you do that the temp range could vary more", or something like "It won't work at all below 32". Do any of you smart electrical or engineer types have any insight here?

I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but it seems the the cold should have little if any affect on electronics.

Cheap ebay one? Is that a Dwyer Love Control or is it something else? I really like the panel controller and want to mount it on the outside of the freezer.

and yes, I've always thought the same thing about electronics. I thought the colder and dryer, the better.

So I ordered the temp control switch and probe. I figure most of the time the temp is between 0 and 32 in the winter here. It's not often it gets below 0 F but sometimes it does. I figure as long as I pay attention to the weather I will have no trouble, plus I bet there is some kind of tolerance on it. It will probably work a little colder than 0 deg F but the question is how much? Who knows? Eventually, I will move the thing to the basement anyway.

Could i recomend something here? why don't you install the controller inside the freezer?

I know it's nice to have it outside so that you can peak at the temp, and control it without opening the freezer, but, assuming your going to be controlling the temps to between 32F and 75F, the controller would be perfectly safe inside the freezer... just a siggestion

I use the TSS2 for a fermentation chamber in my garage with heater and airconditioner, but i keep my garage heated at 33-34 so that nothing freezes... it's never given me an issue, but of course i don't think i've ever ran it below freezing

Could i recomend something here? why don't you install the controller inside the freezer?

I know it's nice to have it outside so that you can peak at the temp, and control it without opening the freezer, but, assuming your going to be controlling the temps to between 32F and 75F, the controller would be perfectly safe inside the freezer... just a siggestion

I use the TSS2 for a fermentation chamber in my garage with heater and airconditioner, but i keep my garage heated at 33-34 so that nothing freezes... it's never given me an issue, but of course i don't think i've ever ran it below freezing

I was thinking about this. It is a viable option. It should be good for the summer and then Ill more than likely rig something up like this next fall, but I would absolutely love to have the controller on the outside.

another interesting option i was thinking of, might be install your controller in the freezer Wall or even in the Lid facing up.. this way the face of it is on the outside, but the rest of the controller is inside the freezer.. should be fine that way too

Back