Lager fragen....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two lager questions for the wisdom of the masses....

I brewed my second lager over the weekend (Czech Pilsen) and I just realized that I forgot to add the Irish moss to the boil. I was shooting for a really clear, crisp beer for SWMBO (Czech heritage) and am wondering if I am dwarfed. Not worried about the taste just the clarity.

To empty out the carboy to brew the pils, I bottled up my Munchener Helles on Friday. I had used the WLP-800 and had it in primary for 6 weeks. The "problem" was that the yeast never really settled down into a cake. I probably lost about a gallon of volume because the yeast was floating in the bottom 6 inches of the carboy. Kind of looked like seaweed balls. Any ideas what may have gone on with that one? :confused:

Thanks,

to clear a lager you need to secondary around 33-36* for a month. i wouldn't worry about the lack of moss i hardly ever use it anymore and i get some awesomely clear beer still

6 weeks for a lager to be in primary is too long. The decaying yeast cells in the primary can contribute to off-flavors. As erik alluded to, most lagers primary for 2 to 3 weeks (maybe 4 in a big lager), then secondary/lager for 3-6 weeks. I never use any finings (kettle or otherwise) on lagers and get very clear beer. A good lagering period at the right temps clears it up.

WLP-800 should have good flocculation. It could be that your yeast was old/less viable and you had a lot of dead and "dusty" yeast floating around.

Latest posts

Back